+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Putting wraps on in public

I'm thinking of using a wrap (maybe a boba/sleepy wrap style that you tie around yourself) when dd is born in august but are they really fiddley and awkward in public, especially with a toddler in a stroller as well?

I'm thinking of situations like putting it on in public eg in a public carpark: put wrap on, get bub out of car, get baby into wrap, unload stroller for toddler, get toddler into stroller etc. What order do you do these in? Is it too much hassle or does it become second nature with practice? I really don't want to buy a double stroller and I like the idea of baby wearing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You could always try a structured carrier like an ergo or even a mei tei or sling if you're worried about tying etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Hi I used a hug a bub which I believe is similar to the sleepy wrap. I just put it on at home before went out. Popped bub in when we got where we needed
    Yep me too. All the fiddly stiff at home and just re tighten/adjust as needed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It gets much quicker with practice. I initially found it a bit stressful to tie and get bub into the wrap when out and about but now it's second nature.

I prefer to tie just before I put him in and it only takes a few minutes now. My current wrap is very easy and forgiving to use though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    It gets much quicker with practice. I initially found it a bit stressful to tie and get bub into the wrap when out and about but now it's second nature.

I prefer to tie just before I put him in and it only takes a few minutes now. My current wrap is very easy and forgiving to use though
    What sort of wrap do you have now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started with a hug a bub which was great but bub started to sag a little by 8 weeks or so.

Have one of these now http://jeportemonbebe.com/en/ , and it's much stronger but also a lot stretchier. I don't need to worry as much about getting the tightness just right when I tie it. I just tie it tight and it stretches out.

Once I'm more confident ill try a woven but I assume that will be trickier.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am new to wrapping (had ergo first), and I had to practise a lot at home before I was game to do it in public.

At the moment, I only do the front wrap cross carry. When I go somewhere, I leave both kids in the car, and then I get the baby out and wrap him up (which will take me about 5 minutes as I'm still slow!), then I get my other son out.

The first few times I did it I must have looked awkward as strangers walking past offered to help me (not sure how exactly, lol).

But I am getting more confident.