+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn settling

Should my newborn be self settling? Everyone tells me that at her age (2 weeks) I should be able to just put her down. But I get about 10 mins of her in the rocker & she grizzles, and if I put her to bed awake she cries too.
    She is my 2nd and I'm big on self settling and I know they need to learn to self settle but I don't really want to leave her crying much at this stage but would be great if she settled herself off. I put her in the doing most times she's asleep in seconds

Thanks
    Reviews
    *put her in sling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No a 2 week old should not be self -settling. Don't listen to people who say that, they're wrong. A newborn needs the smell, sounds of others particularly it's mother to feel safe and warm, this is why she settles in the sling.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-04-2013),Manny  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have no idea why people think that 'self settling' newborns are the norm. I think 'everyone' needs to lay off the crazy Juice! It makes no logical sense! Bubs has spent the last 9 months safe in your womb, as close to you as humanly possible, it makes perfect sense that they will continue to need this comfort when they are born and for a good while afterwards.
    Last edited by Mathermy; 22-04-2013 at 16:16.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-04-2013),Manny  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no absolutely they cannot self settle at 2 weeks of age. don't listen to anybody. you do what feels right. have you tried an infant swing that gently rocks..?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Manny  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I enjoy cuddling her too of course. But it can be tricky too trying to juggle a toddler at same time. I was thinking a swing would be great but I already have a rocker which vibrates..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had both a vibrating rocker and a swing. ds loved the swing more, i don't know why.. maybe the motion? usually by 6 weeks they are much more settled.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Manny  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can count the number of times DS has actually gone to sleep in his swing in one hand. I call it my fail purchase.

As for self settling at two weeks IMO it isn't possible.

However what you can try doing is patting to sleep in cot or bassinet rather than cuddling to sleep and then putting down.

This is what we were doing with DS but then around 5 weeks he just wouldn't sleep. We would put him down and he would wake up. So we started patting him to sleep in his craddle and it worked so much better.

He is now great at self settling at 6 months and puts himself to sleep unaided and without crying 9 times out of 10. The key to self settling when it is time for it is putting them down in that small window of time when they are capable of doing it. If you put them down too late and they are over tired then they struggle to put themselves to sleep.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Manny  (23-04-2013)