+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Stop telling me to get over it!

If one more person tells me to "get over" my fear of giving birth or to just "focus on the positive" I may just lose the plot entirely.

I am 32 weeks pregnant with #3. At 38w with #2 I suffered a placental abruption and had an extremely scary, mismanaged dangerous delivery that resulted in a PPH, me almost stopping breathing when I was in labour, and giving birth to DS2 whilst he was posterior and brow presentation, causing 2nd and 3rd degree tears.

I am utterly terrified of giving birth. So much so that I cant even focus on holding my baby in my arms anytime in the near future because that means I have to go through it all again.

And anyone I open up to about my fears either makes a smart a$$ comment like "well its too late now you have to do it" or they tell me that it doesnt matter because DS2 and I were ok in the end, so how he got here doesnt matter - we both could have died from what we went through, I dont think its unreasonable for me to feel afraid!

I am just so tired of being made to feel like I am being stupid for worrying or that I am over reacting.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am sooo hearing you Peanutmonkey...and I feel that way about a completely normal, complication free birth

What happened in your second birth sounds like it was terrifying. You need a lot of reassurance from your health care people...they need to take some time to talk with you and to demonstrate that they understand the factors involved and to address your concerns.

Are you public or private?

And, how much do you feel you can talk with them about this?

Would you consider employing a doula to advocate for you and support you prior to and during the birth?

Also, just wondering how your first birth went?
    Last edited by Albert01; 22-04-2013 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews

What a horrible thing to say!!

I suffered a full placental abruption as well, and being completely terrified of birth (or even pregnancy!) afterwards is totally understandable.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you and that everyone involved in the birth is particularly mindful of your previous experience xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with pp, is this something you can discuss with your OB?

Perhaps putting together a really clear birth plan that addresses the issues you have been through previously will help you feel confident that they will not be allowed to occur again?

In regards to those who are dismissing your feelings and fears, perhaps you should let rip at them....maybe then they will "get" how stressed this is making you feel 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sending big hugs, I went through the same thing, with DD I had a scary birth I won't go into details but we are both lucky to be alive, with DS1 he was premature so I was terrified he wouldn't make it and lucky I had a good surgeon for my csection because I nearly bled out. My next 2 pregnancies I miscarried 3 babies, so I was extremely nervous when I had DS2 especially since I developed cholestasis and had to prepare for the very real possibility that both me and bub would bleed out. Yet every time I tried to talk to someone they either said "you are worrying for nothing" or "don't be so dramatic" in the end I lost it on DH and told him to shut up and let me talk about my fears and try be supportive. I think people find it hard because they can't imagine anything bad happening because it hurts them to much. Feel free to pm me if you need someone to talk about your fears, I will let you vent it all out.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi peanutmonkey, have you booked a c-section delivery? that way when anyone makes a comment, you can just say, bub will be born on this date, and all will be well. I wont say you are foolish for worry, I can understand, but I will say that 'worry ' is a waste of energy. You cant help how you are feeling, but you can stop sharing that feeling with everyone. Only speak to those who will support you. Good luck, Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi peanutmonkey, have you booked a c-section delivery? that way when anyone makes a comment, you can just say, bub will be born on this date, and all will be well. I wont say you are foolish for worry, I can understand, but I will say that 'worry ' is a waste of energy. You cant help how you are feeling, but you can stop sharing that feeling with everyone. Only speak to those who will support you. Good luck, Marie.
    With respect, a) it is impossible to say "all will be well", which is part of the issue with having experienced prior traumatic birth, and b) telling someone who has suffered a severe trauma that worrying is a waste of energy is coming close to being as hurtful as saying "get over it".

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-04-2013),Mathermy  (22-04-2013),Mumma Needs a Wine  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    huge hugs, take one day at a time i guess and try not to listen to anyone. a bit hard i know. i wish u all the very best with this birth and hope its a much better experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PPs suggestion to (try) to just talk/listen to people who are actually supportive. I am gobsmacked that you're getting those comments but can only guess that perhaps discussing it makes them feel uncomfortable (a bit like how hard it is to know what to say when someone dies) or just simply because they cannot even fathom what you went through as it is just so far from their own experiences in life.

I think it's very reasonable that the idea of birth is making you very stressed. While I had an emergency CS due to fetal distress, I don't consider my birth to have been overly traumatic. Yet, also at 32 weeks, I'm having to really start facing the reality that I am going to have to get this baby out somehow and even I, without past significant trauma, usually think "Oh, sh!t" and would probably be tempted to punch someone if they commented "too late to back out now".

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, i was feeling my post might be taken as abrupt, I didnt mean any offence. I was trying to suggest ways for peanutmonkey to deal with others, not to tell her I thought her feelings were invalid or anything. I thought if she was not dwelling on the past, and not sharing her bad expeirence with people who just dont matter, she would be able to manage the stress better. I understand how terrible her last birth was, and I wanted to guide her to ways of dealing with it so it becomes less of a shadow over this next birth. Sorry if I have upset anyone, and sorry if I have upset peanutmonkey, hugs, Marie.