+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused with how long I let my two week old sleep before I feed her ???

Hi there I have a two week old and have been told by the breast feeding nurse at the hospital to feed her every 3 hours during the day and wake her up to feed her and at night let her sleep up to 4 hours then wake her if she has not woken up by then to feed her ... My mother inlaw was just over and said that I am doing it wrong and that the baby is just going to get heaps fat from over feeding .. And i should just let her wake up when ever she is hungry and never wake her day or night to feed . I am unable to breast feed her so I pump and then bottle feed her and give her one bottle of formula for the mid night feed as I have low milk supply at night ... As I am now super confused how often do I feed her and do I wake her or not ??? Or do I just let her wake up her self ... :-/ need help cause I don't want to make her over weight or heaps fat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps I am new to this page

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there! I would let your baby decide when she wants a feed, particularly during the night. I have never woken my babies up to feed them; I just wait until they ask for it!

I don't think you should pay any attention to what your mother in law is saying. Babies at this age need regular feeds and sleep in order to grow and develop. As time goes by her feeds will start to stretch out longer, particularly if she is mostly formula fed. But if you are breastfeeding just feed her on demand.

Hope that helps a little and welcome to Bubhub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to reply that you don't need to worry about over feeding with Breast Milk but I don't have much experience with expressing and comp feeding.

There are many mums on here who could better advise you in that department.

The reason your nurse advised to feed 3-4 hourly is because their stomachs are so tiny at this age that they only hold a small amount and need to be re-filled frequently in order for them to get the energy they need for the huge amount of growing they do in this early stage.

Some babies who sleep longer between feeds find it more difficult to feed because they don't have the energy to suck.

Also, your body produces milk on a supply and demand set up. The more frequently it is being demanded the more your body will produce. So in order to increase and establish your supply you don't want to be waiting too long between feeds or pumping.

The main indicator I would look for is 5 or more wet nappies in 24 hrs and good weight gain. If these are both true then I'd let my baby sleep and feed when they wake for it.

However if the wet nappies are low or weight gain is poor then I would be waking for feeds.

missie_mack is a great BF resource, it may be worth PMing her for some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends, is your baby premature or has low birth weight?
    DD was born early and was a skinny little thing she also had jaundice which made her sleepy, so I was told to feed her every 2 hours during the day and every 3 hours at night. When her jaundice issue was cleared up I let her regulate her own feeds.
    I think if your baby is a healthy weight to begin with you can let him/her regulate feeds, no need to wake a sleeping baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps your mil is referring to formula feeding - you can't overfeed breast milk

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I also expressed and used formula. At that age I generally fed my girls every four hours - expressed breast milk first then topped up with formula. During the night if my baby hasn't woken within six hours of going to sleep then i did wake and feed, but she usually woke before then. With DD1 I had to wake every four hours during the night but that was because she had lost weight in the hospital so we needed to bring that back up. If there aren't any issues with losing weight then I think it would be ok to stretch out the night feeds a little more, so long as you kept them consistent during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never fed a baby on a schedule, I was always told your baby will let you know when they are hungry. And like previous poster I was told you can't over feed a baby on either breast milk or formula