+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you tried a baby gate to keep her separate from the kids and also maybe an area she can retreat to that the kids can't get to? Teaching the kids to completely leave her alone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never thought I could rehome our dog either but I'm at my wits end trying to deal with the situation. Her arthritis is getting worse so she can't be outside all the time in the cold. Our house is really open plan so a baby gate doesn't really work. I have her for a lot of the day in the pergola area just outside the main living area but even that doesn't work anymore as she barks and growls at DD if she is noisy. DD knows to leave her alone and to be honest I actually think she is petrified of the dog now anyway so doesn't touch her. It's just the normal 3 year old running and yelling that sets her off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we have an 8 year old mini poodle that has been living with my parents since my son was born 5 years ago. she was born with neurological issues aswell as hip dysplasia so is very nippy and paranoid. she is trained but there's still unpredictability with how she is everyday
    there was just no way she could be around kids, but we didn't want to give up on her completely. I think safety is more important than anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Would easing her pain potentially help with her snapping? I know that if I had an injury and was in pain, I'd be a bit of a grumpy b*tch too.

You could also consider teaching your children new ways to behave around your dog. When I was little, until I was about 8, we had this dog who we just KNEW you didn't mess with. We stayed away from her, she was kept away from us. If we went outside, she went somewhere else. She was let in when we were in bed.

Her nastiness came from being slapped really hard by a toddler when she was a tiny puppy, so was just terrified of kids and went on the attack automatically. IT was a never a problem though, because we were taught how to co-exist from birth (she was around before we were).

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she has arthritis she's probably in pain all the time, and that would make anyone moody. If DD knows to stay away from her, and all she is doing is growling, honestly I would just make sure to keep them separate.

Our old dog has arthritis too, and he's usually happy just to lay around all day now. If you can figure out a good spot for your dog to just snooze all day and teach DD to stay away, maybe they can coexist together for the next few years. I don't think training will help her at this stage. She's not behaving this way because she's untrained, it's because she is in pain.
    She's very old for a big dog so I would be trying not to rehome her because she probably doesn't have long left anyway and I wouldn't want to make her life any more stressful by moving her to a strange home.

But at the end of the day it's up to you, if you think you can't deal with her living with you or you think DD is likely to get bitten then rehoming might be your only option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    There is a website that you can go to where you can find a new home for your dog. My dad got a german shepherd on there, similar situation and they dont have children around and lots of space for him.
    They keep in contact with the people they adopted him from and send pics once a year.

www.tars.org.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone. We have an appointment with the vet on Friday to discuss options for more pain relief and to talk about possible re homing. I don't want to re home her if it can be avoided but it may be the best option for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is something I worry about with my dog as she has arthritis and damaged cruciate ligaments. When she is in pain she doesn't want the kids near her - she is great around my step kids (8 and 9) but younger ones she growls and barks to warn them to stay away. I've yet to work out how we are going to manage when bubs arrives.

I do find managing her pain has a lot to do with her behaviour and I have tried a few different supplements. Joint guard is fantastic and helps her a lot with her pain and mobility (also doesn't smell like anything so can go on food and she doesn't notice). I also restrict her exercise so has to not aggravate her legs - is hard with a dog that doesn't know how to control her excitement! When she has a tear I try to keep her confined (usually tied to something around the house and the kids know to leave her alone). She finds this is a safe place but still be a part of what is going on.

Completely understand your concerns and for the safety of your children and your dog, rehoming may be your best solution but good luck with the vet giving advice and pain relief.