+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What would you do? Issues with dog

Firstly a bit of background....we bought our dog almost 7 years ago from a pet shop. From the minute we picked her up she could only be described as spirited in nature. We have had so many behavioural issues with her over the years but have dealt with all of them through more training.

This year we are finally starting to see her slow down but she is now suffering from arthritis in her back legs. She is on anti inflammatories which seem to be helping. Problem is now she has become somewhat aggressive and dominant around our kids. She has never been fantastic with our 3 year old but is becoming worse and worse with knocking her over and trying to nip her. She has also started to bark at us constantly for attention.

DH and I have now come to the realisation that we may have to re home her in case she does actually hurt one of the kids.

So anyway what would you do in our situation? It's breaks my heart to think of my dog with another family but I'm not sure we have a choice anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a dog in similar situation and were told that because of age the animal was in pain and becoming grumpy (as humans do) we gave our dog to our nana (fit woman who still lives on her own) she did have chn so the house was quiet and relaxing for our dog.
    When we did go to visit our dog loved interacting with the chn.

My point is maybe rehoming to a quiet childless house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My in laws have an old grumpy dog. She had an injured knee at one point and my 2 yr old tripped and fell on her when she was sleeping. The result was a bite to my sons head narrowly missing his eye... His eyelid was torn and three puncture wounds to the top of his head. Not to mention carpet burn as his grandad dragged him out of the dogs mouth. I am first to say put the dog down but as she is old and injured and it was an accident they kept the dog and muzzle her when around kids. If it was our dog and in our home we would not have kept her... It's too risky and you would need to constantly watch ur kids and the dog. Rehoming might b best even for the dog... Imagine if you were sick or in pain and u had little ppl driving u nuts ( not even on purpose!) and if smthg did happen it could be a lot worse than what happened to my son

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I think it has come to the point where for her own sake she needs a new home. If it is just me home she is fine and just goes and sleeps somewhere but if she is inside with the kids she can't settle. The noise must be driving her insane. Poor thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took in a stray dog and tried hard to find the owners without success. We kept it for 6 months, along with our labrador. The Vet wasn't sure what breed it was so it was hard to guess it's temprement around kids. It was a puppy (around 12 months old) and quite full of energy which was a bit much for little kids (it was the size of a Labrador, so a big dog). Then it snapped at a little child (I can't remember now who it was, but the child was around 2 years old). That was it. We took it to the pound to be rehomed. It just wasn't safe around little children and we didn't want to take the risk. My brother was bitten on the face at age 3 when he patted a dog being walked by a young girl (around 12 years old) on the street outside our house. He had multiple cuts and multiple stitches and a massive fear of dogs afterwards. He was then bitten on the hand at age 4 at a friends house when he gently patted a dog.

I wouldn't take the risk. Get the dog rehomed asap. I do think a quiet house without children is probably the ideal thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the worst thing, she is a huge dog. Approx 40kg so could do some real damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My immediate response is re-home immediately. However the owner of a dog who we call DS older sister because she is such a part of our family I understand actually doing it is going to be a tough call.

Unfortunately if the signs are there by nipping the kids then it is only a matter of time before a real bite occurs. And as someone who has been bitten by a dog twice as an adult, it hurts like hell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you do need to rehome please please find a new home, I am sure you would anyway but the poor old dog would get killed at the pound. I would hate to be in your situation, I hope ou can find a lovely home for her

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arli For This Useful Post:

lones  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not one to say rehome lightly, I believe a pet is part of the family and as much as possibly should be cared for as such, however in your case it sounds like your dog is ageing and your family is just not at that stage (with young kids and so on). I think rehoming with a middle aged or elderly couple or single person might give your pet a calmer environment.
    Its sad but from what youve said it sounds like thats what your dog craves. Good luck, not an easy decision at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm making an appointment to speak with her vet ASAP and get some advice. We won't be taking her to the pound but are hoping to find someone with no kids to take her in. She really is a beautiful dog but just has no tolerance to small children or loud noises.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

lones  (22-04-2013)