+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Traveling to Hawaii with 6 month old

im currently 15 weeks pregnant with bub no 1. My due date is mid october. Myself and hubby would like to go to Hawaii next year for 7-9 days before I return back to work with bub. We have been before for honeymoon and believe it be ok to take a 6 month old. Planning on going either April,may or June. Don't plan on hiring a car. Just want to know whether a 9 Hr plane trip is ideal? And what are things to consider with accommodation ect? And anything else !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Don't worry about the flight, 6 months is a delightful age to travel. Travelling at night is good for them, but you won't get much sleep. Travel during the day would work too, as they usually have a couple of good sleeps at this age. I highly recommend breastfeeding! Instant calm down at that age.
    If you go just before 6 months, you won't even need to worry about taking food etc for bubs which would also make things easier.
    Invest in a comfortable carrier, one that you and husband are comfortable wearing and also a comfy but compact pram/stroller so bubs can have a sleep when out and about. You'll have a great time. We did it with a 14 month old and it was awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice DH thinks bub would be too young to go but I think it would be fine
    Quote Originally Posted by elleseetee View Post
    Hello! Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Don't worry about the flight, 6 months is a delightful age to travel. Travelling at night is good for them, but you won't get much sleep. Travel during the day would work too, as they usually have a couple of good sleeps at this age. I highly recommend breastfeeding! Instant calm down at that age.
    If you go just before 6 months, you won't even need to worry about taking food etc for bubs which would also make things easier.
    Invest in a comfortable carrier, one that you and husband are comfortable wearing and also a comfy but compact pram/stroller so bubs can have a sleep when out and about. You'll have a great time. We did it with a 14 month old and it was awesome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only concern when we travelled with a 10m old we still had to work around sleeps. So morning and afternoon sleeps was a bit of a pita!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We went to the US when DS2 was 5 months, so a 14 hour flight. It really wasn't that bad, much easier than when they're a little bigger and get mobile. I highly recommend requesting a bassinet; we didn't really use the bassinet but the bassinet seats have heaps more leg room

We found bottle feeding to be a problem in US hotel rooms... The rooms had coffee percolators as standard but no regular jugs so boiling water was a problem, and the hotel wouldn't let me use their microwave to sterilise so I had to use a tiny one in the gift shop. I was less than impressed
    Last edited by lambjam; 26-04-2013 at 21:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's a pain ,hmmm will definitely keep that in mind and try get a hotel with a microwave or kettle in room.
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    We went to the US when DS2 was 5 months, so a 14 hour flight. It really wasn't that bad, much easier than when they're a little bigger and get mobile. I highly recommend requesting a bassinet; we didn't really use the bassinet but the bassinet seats have heaps more leg room

We found bottle feeding to be a problem in US hotel rooms... The rooms had coffee percolators as standard but no regular jugs so boiling water was a problem, and the hotel wouldn't let me use their microwave to sterilise so I had to use a tiny one in the gift shop. I was less than impressed

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clucky14 View Post
    Thanks for the advice DH thinks bub would be too young to go but I think it would be fine
    I have heard people say go sooner than later. 4-5 months would be a great age to travel with because they are nice and transportable, not moving under their own steam etc. I know people who went to Vietnam with a 5 months old and said that he travelled really well and they had a lovely time. Enjoy your bub and enjoy your holiday.

Might be worth getting a small travel kettle or an immersion element and buying a cheap pot or something to use to boil water in (with the immerser) and then just chuck the pot out on your way home so you don't have to carry it. http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/E...ppliances.aspx
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 27-04-2013 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did think of that hmm it is a good idea if we can't get one in the room where we are staying I will just go buy a cheap one and leave it behind.Thanks for the link. Anymore good points for me ? It's still awhile away though I like to have ideas ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have heard people say go sooner than later. 4-5 months would be a great age to travel with because they are nice and transportable, not moving under their own steam etc. I know people who went to Vietnam with a 5 months old and said that he travelled really well and they had a lovely time. Enjoy your bub and enjoy your holiday.

Might be worth getting a small travel kettle or an immersion element and buying a cheap pot or something to use to boil water in (with the immerser) and then just chuck the pot out on your way home so you don't have to carry it. http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/E...ppliances.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do it! We travelled to the USA with our 8 month old and no issues. Def book a bassinet seat though.

As for working around sleeps, this wasn't possible for us as we were always out and about. He just slept on the car or pram or Ergo. But I have a catnapper anyway so sleeps weren't that big a deal.

DS was bottle fed and we didn't have an issue but we did rent an apartment. I am sure you could request a kettle or use of a microwave though.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey clucky14, we're heading off to Samoa in two weeks with a 6 month old on a red eye! It's only a 6 hour flight though. We think we'll be fine. I reckon you guys will be too. If there is anything i come across I think is super important to pass on I'll let you know! Very exciting!!!