+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week

Default 9 yr old birthday party

DH and I are just discussing DS's birthday party (in 2 weeks time because it totally crept up on us lol) and wondering what to do. This will be his first birthday at this school so we decided to do a little something for him.

My initial thought was the usual BBQ in a park somewhere (thinking Queens Park for those that know Toowoomba) but DH is keen on having DS's 2 best friends stay the night. I know one of the boys would be fine because he's stay with us on a number of occasions. The other boy I'm not so sure about. He and his family have only been in Australia for about 6 months. While I'm happy to have him here I'm just not sure how his parents would feel. With that in mind I'm leaning more towards a day time party with the boy who has stayed here before sleeping over.

I'm a little unsure about food too. The day is about DS so I'd love to cater it to suit us (vegetarian) but then I don't know if the other kids will eat that sort of food. I know the boy who stays with us is ASD and has a lot of problems trying new foods so we tend to feed him what we know he likes (sausages and chips, though he did manage to eat a quorn sausage roll, baked potatoes and broccoli last time!!). I don't know!! I wouldn't even know where to start with easy party type vegetarian foods.

Thoughts on both issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's an amazing vegetarian sausage roll recipe - tastes exactly like meat. Se texture and everything.
    http://wheresmyspatula.wordpress.com...sausage-rolls/

Some fruit, some cake, maybe sausages (or veggie sausages) and you could have a really relaxed fun afternoon

I think a BBQ in the park sounds lovely.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

Chunkydunks  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Veg sausages, quorn sausages, tvp meatballs, quorn dippers, carrot and celery sticks with lots of dips, salads, chips, cake, fruits, cheeses...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Mini quiches ( feta and onion )
    Tomato and cheese tarts
    Mini frittatas ( tomato/mushroom/potato)
    Falafel kebabs
    Little noodle boxes
    Nachos
    Bean burittos
    Mini pizzas

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    The fruit is definitely a given. Something I've done at every party and the kids love it.

Thanks for the recipe link. Sounds nice.

I've been trawling a bit too and found a few more ideas (and some silly sounding recipes like falafels made from baked beans ). The "make your own pizza" idea is sounding like fun but could be time consuming and I don't feel like having a heap of kids here in this tiny 2 beddy unit lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I certainly don't have a lot of experience with b'day parties but from memory, as a kid most people just went with a table of finger food, which is easily done as vegetarian friendly.

Sandwhiches
    Fruit
    All the 'fun' stuff like chips, lollies, fairy bread, biscuits and the likes.
    Potato salad, colesaw, etc..
    Cheese, dips, olives, gherkins and crackers.
    Most people that eat meat don't seem to mind the sanitarium hotdogs and a lot of the quorn products, so you could potentially include them although it would be quite expensive if you have a lot of kids coming.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Chunkydunks  (21-04-2013)