+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pimple advice for a fellow PCOS sufferer!!!

Hello my PCOS friends! I have PCOS. My most troubling symptom is lack of periods. However I also have the characteristic pimples on my neck and jawline.

I'm 32. I shouldn't be getting pimples anymore!!!!!!! Over it!

Anyone have any advice or suggestions. I know it's probably hormonal and caused by those dang cyst riddled ovaries. Help me!

Anna xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    A friend on FB recently asked for ways to help her pimples and two things that were suggested stood out to me. The first was manuka honey and the second was the caster oil treatment. I'm yet to give either a go but I'm pretty keen to try them. I've tried lots of different treatments but the one thing I've noticed is when I give up and stop using anything other than water my face seems to clear up a little but I get a few more blackheads.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Annariffic  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi!
    We are the same age and have the same issue. It feels horrible, is sometimes painful and I always think how people must assume that I don't look after my skin. I use Cetaphil wash on it every day and a good clinique moisturiser and little make up, but as you say it is hormone driven and the only thing I've found to cure mine is when I get pregnant - though last pregnancy I still had acne up to 26 weeks before it went away. I've also been told that the pill can sometimes help, but I'm unable to go back onto it after we have finished our family. We are TTC too - I see a pp mentioned honey - just be careful if you fall pregnant. I haven't heard about castor oil before - how does it work?

I wonder if metformin works though as a long-term option to help with balancing these types of things. Does anyone know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Can I ask why be careful with honey if you fall pregnant? I've never heard of it being a problem. As for the castor oil one there is a link to it. In my post explaining how to use it. Like I said, I'm keen to see if it works. Anything that means I'm not using a crap load of chemicals is good in my books lol.

I'm 32 in June and TTC #2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has anyone else heard to be careful of it when pregnant due to possible bacteria? I don't think I came across it til a later pregnancy so it musn't be commonly listed. I'll see if I can google.
    I agree with the natural stuff - I'm sick of meds and side affect risks. Surely there is some way of getting our bodies to operate normally.

Edit: Okay..googled. It's the same with cheese as with honey - needs to be pasteurised. They said most store bought honey is, but many markets and small business or boutique type places' honey is not always pasteurised. I was somewhere recently and I asked and they said that none of their honeys were treated. But this is of course to eat, I'd assume you mean to put it on one's skin? I'm interested in hearing these ideas.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 20-04-2013 at 20:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yeah the manuka honey is fantastic as an ointment. I've used Medihoney for eczema before and it's worked wonders. I've heard it can do wonders for acne too.

I was looking at a few things the other day (after having yet another scan and my right ovary has a 3cm cyst on it) and found this fertility tea blend. I've used most of the teas on their own before so I'm keen to give them a go as a mix.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following a low GI diet is a good way to help both your PCOS and your skin.

I dab tea tree oil on spots as I see them coming up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Annariffic  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Little Ted!

I know, it's just horrible isn't it! Yes, I use a clinique moisturizer too and clinique soap to wash with.

As you said, the pill can help. I was put on it when I was younger and it does help clean up the skin. But of course I can't take that TTC!! Yes, pregnancy does help. After pregnancy when I was breastfeeding has been the best for my skin. It is so clear and glowing.

I am looking for natural remedies but also realize that as it is hormonal it may require some sort of medication. I'm very interested to hear of others experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies

I'm blessed with clear-ish skin it's just oily as hell. I've found the easiest method to help with problem skin (I do get doozers of pimples and rosacea flare ups.

I use an alphakeri sensitive body wash head-to-toe and a few times a week I will use Phisohex to wash my face, I always tone with salicylic acid I'm in love with one made by Biore it has witchhazel in it too, and I moisturise with a simple brand moisturiser but I've found any light-medium moisturiser that's free of perfumes help wonders. I was using a vit e cream at night, I'm thinking of trying rosehip oil to help keep up moisture.

I've heard of great success with anything containing salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide. Both of which suggest to avoid in pregnancy as you do absorb minimal amounts through the skin, there's not a lot of proof on how much you'd absorb or what effect it could have so I guess the choice is yours to make.

The only other solution is if you could get your homones in check easier said than done!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slyph For This Useful Post:

Annariffic  (22-04-2013)

Love_Monkey_Heart is offline Blessed with a very cheeky Monkey!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find witch hazel to be amazing and it takes away the redness pretty quick. I also find apricot face scrubs work great - I think the best one I have found so far is by St Ives.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Love_Monkey_Heart For This Useful Post:

Annariffic  (22-04-2013)