+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Annoyed when I fail!

Hey all
    I was told I have GD about 2 weeks ago. The last 3 days I have been testing. It is soooo exciting when I meet the target but so depressing when I go over. If I have good readings but just a few baddies will I still have to have insulin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When I had GD with my DD who was my third bub, alll of my readings were perfect except some of my fasting reading were off and I got put on insulin. It really depends on your DR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've also been told that the fasting is the most important and failing that regularly will definitely lead to going onto insulin.

Are you keeping a food diary/notes of the meals that fail? My DE, dietician and OB have all agreed that it's OK to have to odd high after-meal reading in the first week or two while you're working out what foods don't work for your body.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started keeping a diary. At least that way I know what meals to continue eating. I'm young and fit! I don't want to do insulin!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouschildcare View Post
    Hey all
    I was told I have GD about 2 weeks ago. The last 3 days I have been testing. It is soooo exciting when I meet the target but so depressing when I go over. If I have good readings but just a few baddies will I still have to have insulin?
    Hi there! I've had GD with both of my pregnancies so I hope u don't mind if I offer some advice
    Unfortunately GD is unpredictable in the the way your readings go especially in the 3rd trimester.

Sometimes no matter how little u eat, your readings will be high. When I was first diagnosed with my first pregnancy, I used to get really bad readings after breakfast. In the beginning I used to have 3 weetbix with skim milk, then reduced that to 2 weetbix, then 1 weetbix. I was starving myself just to try and prevent having to start insulin.

After appointments with my endocrinologist, diabetes educator and diabetes dietician, I was told by all that not eating enough or being hungry was the wrong way to control GD. That's what insulin is for. So u can still have enough to eat, although in limited portions for some food groups, and you and baby can be healthy and happy.
    You should talk to your doctors about your worries about your readings. Because as I said above, it's not so much about what u are eating but about how your body is producing and using (or misusing) insulin. It's all to do with hormones that is out of our control. In order to start using insulin, it's not really one or two high readings they look at. It's more a pattern of high readings at certain times of day. For example, as I said above, my after breakfast readings developed a pattern of being high so I started injecting insulin before breakfast. It may only be one time of day u need it, or every meal (like me!).
    Exercising will help to reduce your readings too. Even just a little walk helps.
    If u have any questions feel free to ask. There are lots of is here who have had GD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info. I'm getting a bit freaked now that I'll end up on insulin. Doc says only 20% of women do but everyone I've spoken to has been on it. Seems like a lot!
    Also freaking about early induction or c- section. It seems lots of people had to do this coz if GD. I thought we could manage it?????? Am I high risk???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouschildcare View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm getting a bit freaked now that I'll end up on insulin. Doc says only 20% of women do but everyone I've spoken to has been on it. Seems like a lot!
    Also freaking about early induction or c- section. It seems lots of people had to do this coz if GD. I thought we could manage it?????? Am I high risk???
    There are lots of women who had/have GD and are diet controlled only. I don't know where your doc got 20% from.
    Different hospitals have different policies with GD but from what I have heard most usually like to induce early. If this is not what u want u have every right to refuse but expect a lot of flack from your medical team. You need to do your research and decide what is best for you and bub.
    They deem any mother with GD high risk. Again, if u do your research u can see why it is high risk due to possible complications. Again, do what is best for you. I used to write down in point form all the questions I wanted to ask of the midwives and ob before my appointments so I didn't forget anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You sound a bit like I was when I had GD.
    I had it on both pregnancies and it's so frustrating.
    I felt so angry at my body and very, very annoyed at all the extra monitoring and visits I had to attend.
    GRR!

ON DS1, my GD was totally diet controlled, tough going but all worked out for the best.
    I was induced at 42 weeks.

On DS2 I was doing well controlling my GD by diet alone,
    but then my fasting numbers began creeping up.
    They were in the mid 5s on waking with no explanation as to why.
    So, as it was totally out of my control, they gave me insulin for the last 4-6 weeks.
    I just had one tiny shot at night right before bed, it's so easy to do.
    They started me off really low dose and we adjusted it as we went until those morning numbers were low again.
    There was no rush to pump me full of the stuff and in all honesty, the doc told me I was on the teeniest amount in comparison to some people so I felt better about that.
    There was no chance of them letting me go over though,they induced me on my due date.

Your endocrinologist will be looking for a pattern.
    It's very important that you keep a food diary and jot down your readings afterwards.
    A slight high here and there if you had a piece of cake at a party or whatever, is ok because it's explainable.
    But my high numbers after fasting were not a good sign so I accepted that I needed help there.

You might be just fine, you just don't know.
    You are young and fit as you say, I was four yrs older on my second baby and a lot more tired having to run around after DS1 throughout the pregnancy.
    Couple that with the fact that they reckon once you get GD once, you're likely to get it with each successive pregnancy, and for it to be worse each time.
    Not to scare you but just a piece of info I remembered on DS1, so I expected it again the next time I had a successful pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. I have has some rises but they are explainable. I saw my OB today and he gave me more info which was good but scary. Basically he has said if all is well he'll take me right up to 38w but that's it! I will be induced at 38w which isn't ideal but if he thinks its best I'm okay with it. I just don't wanna end having a c section

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear the high readings are explainable. Best of luck that a few little changes will put everything under control.

If you're having no trouble keeping your levels good with diet alone there is no reason to be induced so early (unless a scan indicates you have a problem with your placenta).

My regular OB said I had to have bub by 39 weeks due to GD regardless of how well I managed my GD. I got pretty upset over this as I'm hoping for a VBAC so if I don't go into labour naturally I will have to have another Csection.

But I saw his colleague last week and he said if I keep managing it so well with diet alone and no additional problems are indicated then I can go to 40wks. He also made a point of stressing that I could not go further than that as I've got at least 3 'risk factors' - GD, VBAC and being 37yo.

If you can get your levels good then it's worth looking into the hospital's policy on when they would like you to birth and maybe questioning the 38 week thing.

I'm just hoping this one decides to come at 37 weeks like DD did as I could just avoid those last few super-monitored weeks then!