+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in SA, in the same town as the holden factory. What is coming our way in a few years is damn scary.
    Its going to do damage to the local economy and housing prices.
    Plus I would anticipate an increase in robberies as people struggle for money to feed their families...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    I don't think everyone is mad. So what if they bail out the companies giving them Millions and millions of dollars.... Where will all this money come from... Schools, hospitals, tax rises, pensions, family tax benefits etc....

What they have just done has set a precedent that the govt won't just fork out millions if ur company asks for it... Same with Holden, they had knowledge Holden had decided to leave before they were asking for the more money, that's y they said no because they were thinking that they were going to take all the extra money then stay for a yr or 2 then threaten to leave again and ask for more money... The country can't financial survive that...

If u want to save these businesses start buying their products even if there is a cheaper alternative. Yes they should stop the imports or make them more expensive to import so then the companies choose to stick to Aussie brands but everyone keeps saying the govt should just throw money at the problem
    I was actually thinking in a very broad sense- to school funding, the environment ie shark culling and reef dredging, what they're trying to do with the abc etc etc.

I am ashamed to have them lead this nation at the moment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think everyone should read a bit about what happens to countries when they lose their industry. Do people honestly think that all those jobs, skills and money is lost and we all just continue on as usual? Really?
    I think some people actually do think that sadly. Or they see it as someone else's problem. But it will affect us all eventually.

It seems like we are going down the route the US did of being a services only economy. Ridiculous.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Holden brought in billions to the economy. Had we propped them up even a billion or two a year we still would have been ahead. Not to mention how hundreds of workers that were employed and paying tax will now be, at least short term, on CL. You have to spend money to make money. What concerns me is that primary industry and factory work, the domain of the blue colour worker is drying up. Some people don't want to go to uni or can't. What happens to these people when there are no low to semi skilled jobs left?? They will be on welfare and everyone will be screaming about the cost to the tax payer.

Meanwhile the govt is spending a fortune helping mining companies who are already making billions. I see some irony there. This has to be the worst govt in our history. Even Howard did a far better job than Abbott.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-02-2014),chickenfoot83  (03-02-2014),HarvestMoon  (03-02-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (03-02-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (03-02-2014),smallpotatoes  (03-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Holden brought in billions to the economy. Had we propped them up even a billion or two a year we still would have been ahead. Not to mention how hundreds of workers that were employed and paying tax will now be, at least short term, on CL. You have to spend money to make money. What concerns me is that primary industry and factory work, the domain of the blue colour worker is drying up. Some people don't want to go to uni or can't. What happens to these people when there are no low to semi skilled jobs left?? They will be on welfare and everyone will be screaming about the cost to the tax payer.

Meanwhile the govt is spending a fortune helping mining companies who are already making billions. I see some irony there. This has to be the worst govt in our history. Even Howard did a far better job than Abbott.
    Agree!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No money for SPC but Cadbury got their fair share in the name of tourism. Pfft. What a joke. This government couldn't give a shiz about tourism.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Or health for that matter. I know canned fruit isn't the epitome of health, but I guarantee it has a lot more nutrients than chocolate!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    But, for tourism, spc brings huge numbers into the shepparton area... So I fail to see why Cadbury gets funding under that but spc don't!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I actually dont have a problem with the government propping up industry.

Car Industry - every country does put subsidies into their car industry, and I think the government has made an enormous mistake in not doing so here. We do need a manufacturing industry, and to just let it go is not going to bode well for us.

As far as Cadbury and SPC ... I kind of have a foot in both sides. I agree with subsidising and supporting both primary industries and manufacturing. But I also think that should be supported with legislation to force major corporate conglomerates to actually invest money and manufacture goods here. Give them an incentive to do so, but allow them the rewards if they do it instead of taking jobs off shore.

I realise in retail that is difficult, but there are ways to help.

A big step forward would be to force companies like Google, Apple, Adobe etc to actually pay tax in Aus for their income earned here. That money could go into supporting industry that is operating within our shores.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    BREAKING: Victorian Coalition Government makes $22 million co-investment in SPC!

Victorian Coalition Government provides $22 million towards $100 million co-investment in SPC Ardmona Modernisation to secure long-term future of SPC Ardmona Coalition Government facilitates investment through existing programs in RDV and DSDBI
    SPC Ardmona’s long-term future in Shepparton has been secured with a $100 million Victorian Coalition Government and Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) co-investment.

Premier Denis Napthine, together with Deputy Premier and Minister for Regional and Rural Development Peter Ryan, today announced the Victorian Coalition Government had committed $22 million towards a $100 million co-investment in the Shepparton company.
    “Up to 2,700 jobs in the Goulburn Valley depend on SPC Ardmona and this co-investment secures these jobs which are vital to this region’s economy,” Dr Napthine said.

“This strategic co-investment has been made after careful financial assessments to secure the long-term future of SPC Ardmona and grow its export opportunities, particularly in Asian markets.
    “With this support, SPC Ardmona will transform its operations, modernise food processing and increase its global and domestic product range.

“Importantly this $22 million commitment from the Victorian Coalition Government has been sourced from existing programs through Regional Development Victoria and the Department of State Development Business and Innovation.
    “This co-investment aligns with the government’s work to create export opportunities for business in growing markets and to support regional communities.

“The Victorian Government congratulates CCA on its investment and for working constructively to achieve a positive outcome for the company and the broader community.”
    Deputy Premier Peter Ryan said today’s announcement was another example of the Victorian Coalition Government supporting business to grow and thrive in the domestic and international market.

“We recognise the significance of the state’s food and fibre industry, with total agriculture and
    food exports from Victoria accounting for 29 per cent of Australian food exports,” Mr Ryan
    said.
    “Food and fibre is particularly important to the Shepparton region, which has more than 3,000
    agricultural businesses.”
    From my local radio station FB page