+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I buy fruit, veg, meat and eggs local. But everything else, I'm ashamed to say - I get the cheapest. I wish it didn't have to be like that, but right now we have one income to feed 6 people, and it is tight.

I hate what is happening to Aussie manufacturing, there were talks simplot was going to go under, but they've just signed a 5 year deal with coles own brand, which means from now on - coles own brand will be Australian grown and packed too. Good news for those of us who need to buy the cheapest and feel crap about it.
    We had a simplot factory here in town- it's now been bought out by the Japanese and is called kagome. So- does simplot still exist or is it all kagome now?

It's still local jobs, which is nice but no profit stays here which sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, simplot exists. It is really struggling now though (we are in NSW)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    We had a simplot factory here in town- it's now been bought out by the Japanese and is called kagome. So- does simplot still exist or is it all kagome now?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Can I ask where u are?

My dh did some work for simplot a few years back down near Launcrston and so to hear that they're in part selling out concerns him.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I do try and buy Australian for food whenever I can ... but it gets hard sometimes.

Labelling is also an issue with me - made in Aus, or Aus Owned are not always quite true or what you expect.

Meat, seafood and fruit and veg is always Aussie stuff from my local butcher/veg shop. Groceries, sometimes are not ... I do what I can but it has to taste right (so italian tomatoes, the french jam I like etc)

I do find it so wrong that businesses like SPC are doing it so tough. I do think government support for primary industries and manufacturing in Australia is important, and should be offered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Can I ask where u are?

My dh did some work for simplot a few years back down near Launcrston and so to hear that they're in part selling out concerns him.
    Regional vic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    I do try and buy Australian for food whenever I can ... but it gets hard sometimes.

Labelling is also an issue with me - made in Aus, or Aus Owned are not always quite true or what you expect.

Meat, seafood and fruit and veg is always Aussie stuff from my local butcher/veg shop. Groceries, sometimes are not ... I do what I can but it has to taste right (so italian tomatoes, the french jam I like etc)

I do find it so wrong that businesses like SPC are doing it so tough. I do think government support for primary industries and manufacturing in Australia is important, and should be offered.
    The thing that makes me mad about SPC is that it is now owned by coca cola. In the last 6 months they have made something like a 250 million dollar profit.

Now they were asking state and fed gov each for $25 mil to upgrade the factory. If their profit margin is so huge, surely they can dip into their own pockets?

Of course I do get angry thinking about our gov refusing to help manufactures in this country any more... But really, when your daddy is a millionaire it's a bit "rich" to ask for handouts, right?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (02-02-2014),Happymum2  (01-02-2014),LoveLivesHere  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always buy aussie meat, seafood, fruit, veg and bakery items.
    I try my hardest to buy aussie on other grocery items too.
    Clothing is just too expensive... but I do try

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope not necessarily. I buy whatever is cheap price but decent quality or most closely what I need...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing that makes me mad about SPC is that it is now owned by coca cola. In the last 6 months they have made something like a 250 million dollar profit.

Now they were asking state and fed gov each for $25 mil to upgrade the factory. If their profit margin is so huge, surely they can dip into their own pockets?

Of course I do get angry thinking about our gov refusing to help manufactures in this country any more... But really, when your daddy is a millionaire it's a bit "rich" to ask for handouts, right?
    Agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, SPC is a hard case, of course coca cola should step up. But they probably won't, and then all those regional Vic people will lose jobs. That is sad. And that is what happens with multinationals - it is all about the bottom line.

I totally disagreed with what the Govt did regarding Holden, all car manufacturing countries have help from the government, and the amount Holden was asking was waaayyyy less than say Germany or the US. That is the price you have to pay to keep manufacturing alive when you are trying to compete against countries that have slave labour and no min wages. Not to mention that Holden brought 4 billion into the economy every year.

I would be wanting to know exactly what the impact of not helping SPC our would be, the flow on, and how many other jobs will be lost - and if towns will go under etc. Maybe it isn't the right thing to ask for govt handouts - but what is the alternative? An Australia with no manufacturing at all? Even though we are really good at it? Even though heaps of people rely on it?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (01-02-2014)