+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I do as much as I can.
    I buy local fruit and veggies from markets close to my workplace, and lots of my little girls clothes from there as well (really fabulous clothes)! Eggs from a friend of a friend, local meat when I can. But have had a hard time convincing my teens clotheswise who are very brand conscious and can't find much for myself anyway and I end up buying lots of Country Road etc and I know it's pretty much all out of China

A lot of our furniture I have had made, so I know it's Australian.

For anyone - Where or what are you buying for yourself in the way of clothes if you are buying Australian owned and Australian made? Would love to know!
    This site has a lot of companies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh we have chooks so I get my eggs from them (very local...!), except they stopped laying a little while ago because it got a bit cooler/shorter days, I had to actually buy some!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    We've recently started buying some of the **** Smith stuff for this reason. All the ingredients are Aussie grown. We try to buy from the markets with fruit and veg but when we have to buy at the supermarket we sometimes have little choice but to buy imported if we need that item for dinner. Where there is a choice we go Aussie grown. It generally doesn't cost any more for the things we've been getting compared to the brands we were buying.

As for clothes, I do tend to buy from the cheaper stores. I'll actually be making a lot of DS's clothes myself this season simply because I don't like a lot of the current fashions. I'd love to source Aussie made fabrics to do this but at upwards of $30/m they're just far too expensive. Occassionally Spotty will have discontinued line show up in store so I keep an eye out on them but a lot of them aren't that great design wise.
    yes we buy **** smiths products too. You can also buy from his website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    http://www.australianmade.com.au/ now you can kiss my link Biscotti :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to get Australian made as much as possible, most of our meat comes straight from the farm but if not there is no compromise Aussie or nothing, fruit and vege is much the same.
    We recently went furniture shopping and dh insisted on Harvey Norman as they advertise as Australian made but everything we looked at was imported, we ended up buying everything from a local shop so even though it wasn't Australian made it was supporting our local town.
    Even though I'm a kiwi I live in Aussie and will definitely pay extra for Aussie products!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Worthwhile bumping this up to remind us all to do our bit. If we all make a conscious effort to buy Australian and encourage our families and friends to do the same, maybe we can help the local economy.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackdomino1 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (31-01-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter's school uniform. Not something you see much of these days.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1391153914.914024.jpg

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (31-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    Well considering we lost our family business ( we have a guava farm) due to imported fruit being cheaper I make sure everything I buy is Australian we have missed out on so much and I simply think it is wrong our Australian farming industry is going to go under in the coming years if people don't start putting an end to being able to import unless there is a full on shortage in Australia. And you don't even see the savings the juice that our guavas used to make is still the same price at the supermarket we didn't ask for a pay rise or anything like that in fact if I dropped our pay a little bit we would of still been happy so these company's are making a killing on our expense.
    It's really not fair is it.

For everyone reading this that can possibly afford it - we NEED to make sure we are buying Australian grown produce. It will be a sad state of affairs if we end up relying on other countries to feed us.

This is an issue close to my heart as well after seeing my uncle decommission his orchard after it just wasn't viable anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This isn't actually something I think about. I know all my fruit and veg is locally grown but don't consider other things I buy. I will make more of an effort in future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    Well considering we lost our family business ( we have a guava farm) due to imported fruit being cheaper I make sure everything I buy is Australian we have missed out on so much and I simply think it is wrong our Australian farming industry is going to go under in the coming years if people don't start putting an end to being able to import unless there is a full on shortage in Australia. And you don't even see the savings the juice that our guavas used to make is still the same price at the supermarket we didn't ask for a pay rise or anything like that in fact if I dropped our pay a little bit we would of still been happy so these company's are making a killing on our expense.
    That's so sad. I'm sorry to hear that.

With you being directly affected, what do you think the solution is? Genuine question.

I dont know much about economics etc but I really can't believe that the government (lib or lab doesnt matter) don't bother to hike up import taxes in order to save local industry.

I buy local produce, I buy SPC. I'd be happy to pay a little more for an Aussie product.

Admittedly there are some imported products I like but not many.

And lastly I'm so over my local fishmonger selling imported barramundi. Wtf is that about???!!!!