+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I try to buy all Australian made/grown. Not a fan of buying imported foods!!

Clothing- No, I don't even recall seeing much Aus made stuff at all. Most of it is awful and county type clothes which I'd never wear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    For me price is the biggest barrier to buying only/mostly Australian. If they are close in price I always choose the Aust made/owned. Fruit Vegs as much as possible i buy from the grower. I am blessed that I can do that.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    We've recently started buying some of the **** Smith stuff for this reason. All the ingredients are Aussie grown. We try to buy from the markets with fruit and veg but when we have to buy at the supermarket we sometimes have little choice but to buy imported if we need that item for dinner. Where there is a choice we go Aussie grown. It generally doesn't cost any more for the things we've been getting compared to the brands we were buying.

As for clothes, I do tend to buy from the cheaper stores. I'll actually be making a lot of DS's clothes myself this season simply because I don't like a lot of the current fashions. I'd love to source Aussie made fabrics to do this but at upwards of $30/m they're just far too expensive. Occassionally Spotty will have discontinued line show up in store so I keep an eye out on them but a lot of them aren't that great design wise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    For clothes the main brand I know of being Aussie made is Ocean & Earth. The factory is on the NSW south coast. Applied for a few jobs there lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep I buy as much local produce as I can, no imported foods at all. Australian all the way. Cost doesn't factor in at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The exception to imported food is obviously French cheese.

And NZ wines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was actually one of my new years resolutions this year - to not only buy everything Australian but to buy as much as possible from as near as possible! So all my meat, fruit, veg, bread, milk etc comes from Perth +200kms. It feels really good picking up a bag of carrots and realising they were grown about 20 minutes down the road from you. Plus, less transport = less emissions, better for the environement!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (31-01-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Food I always try and buy Australian. I live near SPC and love going to their factory sale outlet. Its insanely cheap!!!
    Oh my goodness you might live near me!! Both have a son named Lincoln, both live near SPC... spooky!!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    That's disappointing the SPC are no longer supporting local farmers. I will always try to by Australian grown food, and regularly pay $25 - $30 a kg for ham that is product of Australia.

Furniture - I do like to try and buy Australian made

Clothes - no! I would if if I knew which brands / shops and the price was okay. I wouldn't have a clue where to buy Aussie made (apart from homemade stuff from markets). My kids school used to stock Aussie made school uniforms, but disappointingly swapped to a Chinese manufacturer last year (they claim they are better quality for the same price, but meh, I would rather keep Aussies in jobs).
    Actually, they continue to buy from local farmers, the problem is people aren't buying the SPC products... So their output has reduced, meaning so too has their intake. But yes- very sad. A lot of fruits are bearing down the trees ATM but it will go unpicked because there are no buyers. Poor farmers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always try to buy Australian produce only. I hate buying O/S food product. Whether it's fresh product or other grocery items. The only time ill purchase O/S food product is if it's from Italy.

I buy lots of things online clothes wise but still buy things in the shops too. Whilst it annoys me we pay a lot more for things than in the US and UK I have to remember that we have a higher income ( even low incomes a recieve more than their lower income earners.) then there's importing, rents, paying staff ect.