+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Do you buy Australian?

SPC announced a few days ago that they were slashing the amount of fruit bought off local farmers due to too many people these days buying imported goods. (Major paraphrase, but that is what it boils down to)

Do you make the effort to buy Australian grown and made foods from the supermarket? And what about other goods and services- is buying home grown important to you, or does it boil down to price.

For me, whilst I love a good bargain, my fruit, veg and canned goods (fruits, tomatoes, corn, beetroot etc) is all aus grown. Oh, meat too. Actually, I prefer all my food to be Australian now I think about it- rice, dairy etc too.

Outside of the supermarket I am less picky- I'm quite sure a lot of the clothes we wear are made overseas, and a lot of our household goods... But I live in a part of aus that produces a rather large amount of food that you see on your supermarket shelves, so maybe we are aware of that more so than others...?

Interested to hear your views and opinions on this topic, and whether or not you like buying imported goods (ESP food) etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If I'm standing in the supermarket aisle choosing a product, and there's two identical items - one Aussie made and the other foreign - I will choose the Aussie made for sure. I don't care if it costs more.

Different story with clothes, the price difference is just a bit too much and as far as I'm aware it's all designer stuff and not the sort of clothes I'd want to send DD to daycare in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Food I try and buy local.

Clothes, etc? No way! It's stupidly overpriced in Australia so get most stuff online from UK and USA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I certainly try to buy australian where possible. I was really really let down recently by the juice brand Berri. Which I assumed was made out of local produce from the riverland (SA). I was curious and compared the label of homebrand and berri brand lemon juice that my local woolies stocked. The homebrand lemon juice was made from local AND imported juice. The Berri? Made from imported juice and PACKAGED in SA!!!! Unbelieveable.... I brought the homebrand simply because even if it contained 1% local fruit it is morr than the berri brand

What a let down.... Especially when Berri brand costs more than homebrand.

Sigh. Im going to start reading labels even more closely now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I make every effort to buy local. Preferably Aus owned but definitely Aus made and grown.
    I'm very lucky that I have a local orchard which supplies organic fruit and veg from other local growts at prices equal to or cheaper than the supermarket. But even groceries I will pay more because I k ow how important it is to many who work in the Aystralian food including myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clothing, I will buy Aus made when it is available. But there is so little because it is cheaper to import. I have found that Aus made clothing is fantastic quality and worth the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get whatever is cheaper. I can't afford to get the more expensive one because it may be australian or whatever. I would love to tho.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (01-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    food yes
    clothes and every other product ..NO WAY!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For food I try to buy local. Fruit and veggies from the markets and meat from a local butcher. Cheese and oil I also try to get from the markets - although I more often than not forget and end up buying them at the deli.

Tinned stuff and pantry stuff I try to buy Australian.

Clothes I'm a bit more ambivalent. I definitely like to support Australian brands for both DD and I. I also love handmade stuff for DD. When I buy stuff for DD I try to buy it from online stores I know are small businesses - as opposed to going into MYER or DJs and buying the same thing.

However, I dislike being overcharged by big business for things. I won't buy my favourite jeans locally. I'm sorry DJs but you don't need to chuck an extra $100 on top of their retail price overseas. Even if DJs buys them at the US retail price and not the whole place, that is a ridiculous markup. I feel the same about most overseas brands sold here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Food I always try and buy Australian. I live near SPC and love going to their factory sale outlet. Its insanely cheap!!!