+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had so much pressure from my inlaws to bottle feed around that time!! Do whatever you feel is best for you and bub and don't listen to anyone else! Agree with a PP that 4 months is a growth spurt time and apparently your milk changes at 4 months too according to my CHN! I stuck it out and DD2 is 6 months now and still breastfed! She is sleeping well and feeds 4 hourly with solids in between! Don't let them get to you but if you decide to try formula that's your choice too!! Its your baby and your body so ultimately your decision alone!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do not listen to them!!! Everybody says that formula will make them sleep longer and bla bla bla. It's rubbish. DS was formula fed from birth and he was up every 1.5-2 hours to feed up until he was 4 months old.
    Every baby is different. If you feel that he's getting enough milk and you're satisfied, that's all that matters. You're his mum after all. If anybody else has a problem with it, that's their problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all so much. im gald i came on here for support.
    Yes, my family are swaying me towards formula because they are seeing me struggle atm. They know how bad i got with DD and i guess they are just trying to make it 'easier' for me, i dont know. DD was put on formula at about this exact time (4mths) but i dont think i ever had the supply for her, she never had the weight gains ds has had, (20-30grms a week for her). It feels very different this time around with ds.
    Im also very worried about my supply dropping. i worked so hard in the beginning to get a good supply. i dont want it to drop by stretching out the feeds.
    The frequent feeds are tiring but dont bother me as he's pretty quick. but if they are the reason he's not sleeping very well then i should probably do something about it. He's only 4mths tho. i feel more comfortable going by his lead still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have faith in yourself! Your instincts will tell you what is right for you and your bub

As far as stretching feeds go, I guess you need to weigh up whether adjusting his sleep or prioritising BF is higher on your list. Only you can know that.

I did stretch my DS feeds at around the same age as he was feeding every hour 24/7 and only sleeping for very short bursts of time (10mins-1hr) on my chest day and night. This led me to 'risk' my milk supply and address his sleep issues as they were detrimental to both him and our family at the time.

I was fortunate enough that my BF journey was not hindered by this decision, in fact he only just self weaned last month at 17months old. However I knew the risks were there and I think it's important to weigh that up before making a decision.
    I chose not to take the 'switch to formula' advice I was getting as I had friends who had done that and their bubs still woke up for feeds at same frequency as they did while BF so for me that wasn't the solution.

Good luck with whatever you decide is best. 🍀

5. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (21-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok, i need to have a big vent and please, can i have some advice here?...
    Last night was flat out our worst night. everthing went pear shaped from 7pm. I ended up co-sleeping because both of us couldnt settle him for the night.
    DH had a talk to me this morning about what happened last night.
    He told me "formula doesnt sound like such a bad idea, you know..."
    Basically, last night while dh was trying to settle him, ds was chewing on dh's arm which he believes means he is hungry. But when i went to feed him he wasnt interested. He didnt want a dummy either. He was just unsettled for reasons i dont know.
    DH said "at least with formula we know how much he is getting...i have no idea how much he's had tonight..."
    i said to him that he's not being really supportive of me breastfeeding by saying that. then he got angry and said "it's been 4 months!, have i not been supportive for these past 4 months??"
    im just.....
    we dont know why he keeps waking up all the time
    We dont know why he's so hard to get to bed for the night and stay asleep.
    i dont know what is typical breastfed baby behaviour
    i dont know what is typical in regards to feedings, snacking, comfort feeds ect....
    all i know is i dont want to give up breastfeeding because m baby doesnt sleep very well. i know he will get better, i want to at least get thru to 6mths to find out it really does get easier to breastfeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you heard of the Wonder Weeks? It's a book and there's an app too. It outlines all the key developmental leaps that babies make in their first year. Something to keep in mind is that when babies have a growth spurt their sleep and appetite is affected. Similarly when they go through developmental leaps they can become unsettled. Imagine that you suddenly can perceive things around you that you couldn't yesterday. It is overwhelming and unsettling for them. They will look for comfort and consistency to feel secure. For a young baby that is you!

I guess my point is that babies can become unsettled for many reasons and most have nothing to do with hunger. If you tried feeding him and he wasn't interested then you can confidently tell your husband that it is irrelevant knowing how much he's had because he's not hungry anyway.

In regards to settling and establishing a new sleep routine. It takes time, (perhaps 1 week), consistency (both of you need to send the same message), confidence (you need to support each other through it and be confident in your approach so your baby can trust that you know what you're doing), calm (easier said than done I know, but if you are getting upset or angry then it's best you leave the room and tag team with your husband, no baby ever settles to sleep when there are angry or upset vibes in the room).

What state are you in? If in Victoria I can recommend getting I touch with Masada MBU if things get too desperate. I went there with DS as my DH wasn't able to fully support me through settling and I couldn't do it on my own.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (22-04-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Be assured that your baby is getting enough. If you continue to offer him the breast, he will feed when he needs it. You can tell your husband as long as your little one is putting on weight that he is designed to feed to his needs. Maybe your husband is feeling frustrated because he can't help you, and formula is something he sees as a quick fix?

Four months is notoriously tricky, and I agree that the wonder weeks app is very useful. A friend once told me that I need to be my baby's emotional compass, and it helps me to remember that during those times.

As long as you are comfortable with it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with co-sleeping if it will help you all get some rest. During WW periods, babies need more stability and comfort.

4 months is generally regarded as a bad time to try sleep training because so much is going on developmentally. For me personally, it was the hardest time so far.

Hang in there is what I'm trying to say, I guess, and I'm sure some more experienced mummies will pop in soon...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is A 5 week long 'wonder week' at around the 4 month mark.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I really think your bub has hit the 4mth sleep regression. I've been there twice!

Most babies do grow out of it in 3-6wks.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My DD was just the same, some babies are just more wakeful. She fed non-stop for the first 3 to 4 months of her life. Day sleeps were 20 minutes long and she woke every hour or so during the night for a feed. She would only ever feed to sleep as well. I went through a stage where I expressed what I could during the day to give her a bottle of EBM in the evening when I was over it. It worked pretty well. Then I started to get bored of expressing (I was so over ALWAYS having a boob out) so I caved and gave her some formula one night. She vomited it all up, all over our bed.

You're doing a fantastic job, even if you don't feel like it. There can be a world of difference between the behaviours of bf and ff babies. FF babies can often seem more content, maybe sleep longer and fall into a routine sooner whilst BF babies can often be more fussy, may sleep less and feed very often. Unfortunately because FF is so common the expectation is that babies seems to be based more on FF babies.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-04-2013)