+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breaking a lease.

Looking for stories of people who have broken leases early, what was your reason & how difficult was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I broke a lease once due to personal reasons, including my relationship ending and difficulty paying the rent.. It wasn't hard, per say, but you will be liable for rent until a new tenant is found, and also advertising costs to find the new tenant. It can be costly, depending on how fast they find a new tenant.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkSmarties For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I broke a lease when my Dad and his wife split as he asked us to move in with him to help with bills.

The landlord was slightly annoyed but fine with it. I think we just paid about $50 in re-advertising costs. The new tenants that signed up payed $10 a week less than we did, so we had to pay the $10 difference for the time we were meant to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I broke a lease to move towns and it was not a nice experience, I paid 4 weeks in advance which given the amount of people looking for rentals should have been plenty of time, the landlord used the time to do some renos on the place and it ended up taking 3 months to get a new tenant, that was 8 months ago now and I'm still paying off arrears in rent (I simply cannot afford to pay more than a bit each fortnight on pps, it went to rental tribunal and this arrangement to slowly pay it off was approved) the landlord also took all the bond.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to pay 6 weeks rent!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on your circumstances. Dh and I just broke our lease because the neighbour is a creepy pervert who leaves me disgusting inappropriate notes, approaches me naked asking me to go to his house, etc (yes I've reported him to the police - doesn't stop him watching from his house though). I'm 34 weeks pregnant and going on mat leave soon and was petrified at the thought of being home alone with him next door. The owner was very understanding and released us from our lease, we just had to pay the reletting fee. Moving this weekend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I broke a lease just 4 months into a 12 month lease and I was VERY lucky. The landlord decided to sell up so I got out of paying a re-letting fee, in fact I got a refund of a week's rent as they were happy for me to move out sooner to start the auction campaign. Then he decided to replace the carpet to help present the property better so I got out of steam cleaning the carpet.

Very very lucky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    I broke a lease to move towns and it was not a nice experience, I paid 4 weeks in advance which given the amount of people looking for rentals should have been plenty of time, the landlord used the time to do some renos on the place and it ended up taking 3 months to get a new tenant, that was 8 months ago now and I'm still paying off arrears in rent (I simply cannot afford to pay more than a bit each fortnight on pps, it went to rental tribunal and this arrangement to slowly pay it off was approved) the landlord also took all the bond.
    What state are you in? I'm surprised that this was the outcome at the tribunal. The landlord has a responsibility to mitigate your loss, so by doing renovations they really should have let you out of your lease.

OP - What does your lease say about breaking your lease? Read it through and make sure you understand it. Chances are you will be responsible for rent until the property is leased again, advertising and maybe a relet fee. Basically it will be your job to make sure the landlord doesn't lose any money because of you moving, so anything they would have to usually pay to find a new tenant would become your responsibility.

If you pay everything you're required to, and leave the property in the same condition as when you moved in then it won't be a black mark on your record.

You don't need a reason to break your lease.

Sent from my doodad on the whatsimagiggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are trying to break the lease due to makntainance issues, the landlord after many months of nagging "fixed" some unsafe flooring, in a very temporary way.. The man who did the fix was horrified about his work, refused to guarantee the work he did because it wasn't stable and urged us to try break the lease and get out as he believes it is a liability!

We've a sent the real estate a letter giving 2 weeks notice of our departure, and saying we will hold up our end of the lease by still cleaning carpets etc as agreed, but would like to be released without fault so the landlord can get proper repairs done.

The tenants union said we should take them to tribunal with photos of damage, etc and we could try get compensation for the time since we first reported the issue.. Which was October last year.. So if we won they could be up for an expensive time!

We mentioned we would like to give them the opportunity to end the lease on mutual terms, or we would take it further.. Said in a non threatening wording, while still letting then know we mean business.

We are only a couple of months from the end of be lease so hoping they decide its easier to let us go than to risk it being taken to tribunal etc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck op! They might expect a couple more weeks rent off you, I was expected to give 4 weeks notice. And the last house I was in sold while we were renting and we still had to give 4 weeks. That could be different state to state though. The landlord sounds like a dodgy b@stard so I hope you don't get any trouble!