+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know teachers hate the naplans for lots of reasons, some of which you have listed. Why aren't they listening to the teachers?
    Naplan has nothing to do with education, and everything to do with politics. Politicians and office people like data. Children don't like data. It's a lose/lose situation.

I get they need to have a way of showing the kids are learning the basics and I'm not sure what the answer is.
    Rich assessment tasks
    Real life activities
    Short sharp focused testing

For education purposes, testing and assessment needs to be local (at the primary level). There is no need or reason for comparing a Year 3 child living in the NSW bush with one living in the middle of Perth, for example. Or a child in Hobart with one in the Pilbara. There is just no realistic comparison of what they know.

I teach in a disadvantaged school - our children come to us with few skills. They not only can't read, most have never seen a book. They have never scribbled on paper, let alone drawn a picture. They don't watch TV, because television is in English and nobody in their home (them included) speaks English, even if they were born in this town. They may watch some DVDs in their own language, but our languages tend to be minority ones and not shown much on SBS or having a large industry of their own. They are mostly toilet trained, some can dress themselves and about half know what to do with a sandwich.

And, in three years, these children are meant to be able to sit Naplan.

That's why we ignore it. We look at where they start, and look at where they've ended up. We make huge strides, but a good Naplan in three years is not realistic. That's just a fact.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My kids also attend a disadvantaged school (which is brilliant I will add) and it's very much the same thing. Many parents don't expose their kids to reading, and don't place the same importance in education, some of which is cultural. So on paper our school doesn't fare well on naplans. That doesn't mean our teachers are no good, they are actually wonderful.

Can you explain rich assessment? storing all this away for my studies