+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    VCE is Vic HSC, so 18 yos....
    I don't know what HSC is either, but I'm guessing final year of high school exams?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I don't know what HSC is either, but I'm guessing final year of high school exams?
    QCS equivalent, i think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I completely agree with everything you're saying. On the flip side, schools like the one I teach at place such little emphasis on 'tests', NAPLAN is one of the very, very few opportunities they have to experience true test situations. I love my schools philosophy as to me, test situations aren't really true to most situations in life but it seems high school (well government testing in high schools) haven't caught up with this and probably wont for a while. If schools take a chill pill and worry less about tests that are created to one dimensionally rank them these kids shouldn't need to develop unusually high coping skills.

Good luck with your teaching degree-best thing I ever did and SO rewarding.
    I imagine it's a nightmare for teachers, as all kids develop at different levels and the results are often not indicative of either ability or teaching quality. I also understand the govt needs to be able to measure that kids are getting taught the fundamentals. But I think at 8 or 9 too much pressure can create a really negative association with testing which may flow onto high school.

I would rather it set up like the kinder testing in NSW, Best Start. It's very casual, just watching and asking them questions. Very relaxed but still getting base line knowledge

And thank you for your encouragement. I worked with teens for years in another field so I thought primary would be a change of pace

lol yes HSC is year 12 exams in NSW

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    QCS equivalent, i think?
    Is that the Queensland one then?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

ardora  (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Is that the Queensland one then?
    Yep.. Was the Queensland core skills that you sat when i was at school anyway. Guess it could have changed in recent years though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I don't believe any child should need to cope with the pressure these schools are putting on the test performance and results (very much my point that the stress is coming from how the test is presented to the children). But I disagree that they don't have the coping skills or the ability to begin to build them for a test situation. I worry too that by withdrawing children from it, the message is sent that that is how to deal with new situations and they either expect to be withdrawn again in 2 years time when they are 11 (NAPLAN is sat for most children at ages 8-9 10-11 in primary school I believe) or double the panic as they haven't yet experienced the situation and are going in cold.

I think the op is in an awful situation with this though as because the school has already built this pressure I'm not sure the 'damage' could be undone before the test at this point. It would be great if she sat it and was able to experience the pride in her coping skills however I can see that it could also go the opposite way and she'll stress and panic that she hasn't performed as well as she could...toughie.
    I am not sure what to do at this point. We are going to the GP on Monday about an unrelated issue, so I might talk to the GP about it. If she was a little worried about it then I would talk with her. But she has stopped eating and is just a mess.

Someone asked her if she had homework this weekend and she said "Naplan practice". I told her no and that she is having a complete break this weekend. I have told her that it is testing the teaching rather than her work, but that worried her because she doesn't want to get things wrong and her teacher gets into trouble AHHHH.....she gets anxious about certain things and I can usually talk her around. However, this is much much harder!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if this will help, I had to take DD to the Dr yesterday as she had developed a "stress rash" and he suggested putting her on St Johns Wort so I bought some and she already seems less anxious and calmer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naplan in yr 3 is totally inappropriate, it places immense pressure on children and teachers to achieve high marks to make the school look good instead of looking at the bigger picture of skill building and improvement. If they were serious about using Naplan to improve outcomes they would use yr 3 as an opportunity to assess where the children were up to (and not publicise figures) and then compare them with figures in yr 5, 7 & 9. We opted out of the ones in earlier years and only participated in the yr 7/9 ones, I will most likely do the same with my youngest.
    Withdraw her from the NAPLAN test, it will not harm her in any way if she does not do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Naplan in Year 3 is ridiculous. We test early in the year (May) on skills that aren't taught in K-2 (exposition writing, ffs!). I teach Year 3 this year, and, while we have done a bit of practice and talked about it a bit, I refuse to enter into huge hype about it. I've never learnt anything about a child I didn't know from teaching them, and the results come in too late in the year to be useful for anything meaningful anyway. It's just statistics and data gathering at the children's expense.

My youngest two are in Year 3 and Year 5 this year, and they know I don't give a damn about Naplan. If they showed the slightest sign of stresss, I'd withdraw them without hesitation, but they're pretty laid back types of kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaV View Post
    Naplan in Year 3 is ridiculous. We test early in the year (May) on skills that aren't taught in K-2 (exposition writing, ffs!). I teach Year 3 this year, and, while we have done a bit of practice and talked about it a bit, I refuse to enter into huge hype about it. I've never learnt anything about a child I didn't know from teaching them, and the results come in too late in the year to be useful for anything meaningful anyway. It's just statistics and data gathering at the children's expense.

My youngest two are in Year 3 and Year 5 this year, and they know I don't give a damn about Naplan. If they showed the slightest sign of stresss, I'd withdraw them without hesitation, but they're pretty laid back types of kids.
    I know teachers hate the naplans for lots of reasons, some of which you have listed. Why aren't they listening to the teachers? I get they need to have a way of showing the kids are learning the basics and I'm not sure what the answer is. But it's pressure for the kids. Sometimes the stats do not reflect how good a teacher is i.e. a low score in a class has so many reasons and often it has nothing to do with the teacher.