+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Year 3 Naplan

Hi Guys

Just wondering how much work your child is doing in preparation for Naplan this year?

My DD started about half way through last term and now they are doing some each day.

She is feeling rather anxious about it! Did not help when the teacher said she wanted to get them all 6s So now she is worried she won't be able to get a 6

We have told her we are not worried about the Naplan at all.

So I am not a fan of Naplan testing at all!
    Anyway just curious what other children in Year 3 are doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    DS did it last year and it was crazy the amount of focus they put on it. It really got so many of the kids quite anxious. To me it seems wrong to cram all the stuff in the test into them just before it because it skews the results and scares the kids. They think this is so important for themselves when it's only the schools that it's going to impact on.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.

My DDs class has not been going to the library or music. They have not being doing art either! Her favorite things to do are read and draw/paint so she is really missing these things.

Oh we go to the library each fortnight but she likes the school library as well.

This week has been horrible and it is only first week of term. She has not been eating, is not sleeping well and then last night wet her pants she has not done that since she was night trained at about 3-4.

Seems a lot of effort and stress for a test in primary school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    DD is in Year 3 and I think they start prep next term. Makes me sad to think little kids have all this pressure to perform. They are 8 or 9 ffs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is way to much pressure. Surely this much pressure can not help the results in any case. In QLD they are 7 and 8. My younger DD will be doing it when she is 7.

It is just doing her head in. She has homework this weekend which I am saying leave it, because she just needs to stop and have fun without school work hanging over her head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They shouldn't be putting ANY work into it, they should just be following the curriculum and doing more beneficial work than preparing for a test.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

delirium  (19-04-2013),mummyrissa  (19-04-2013),PomPoms  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    It is just doing her head in. She has homework this weekend which I am saying leave it, because she just needs to stop and have fun without school work hanging over her head.
    It's almost like their objective is to make kids hate school even earlier than many do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    If she's getting that bad I'd be talking to the school about it. It's not healthy for a little kid to be dealing with so much pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to them on Wednesday this week. I will see how she goes over the weekend. I need to take her to the doctor Monday anyway, so will talk to the doctor and the school next week I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That is ridiculous!

OUr school is a gifted and talented focused school...their school aim is that at report card time 80% of kids should be getting A's across the board.

They do NOT put that sort of effort into NAPLAN prep and nor should they. From my understanding, they do 1 session per week (30-45 mins) so they have looked at 1 of each type of test and that is it.

If they have been working to the curriculum, they should not need that sort of prep!