+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colic

Hi guys, Im asking for a friend, whos son just turned 1 a couple of weeks ago, and for the past week, he has barely slept for longer then 1 1/2 hours a day. My friend went to the doctors today to see if there was a medical reason why he wasnt sleeping and the doctor told her it was colic.
    What I want to find out is can a 1 year old get colic?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know the answer....but I've always been of the understanding colic was for newborns only. But I guess a doctor knows more than me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son had colic and my gp told me it is usually only for newborns and should be well over by 5-6 months.

Personally if my 1 year old was showing those symptoms then I would be getting a second opinion. If he is crying excessively at night it could be that his bedtime routine needs changing, he is overtired from a lack of day sleeps, overstimulated at bedtime, or medical reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about teeth or food intollerence? Has she just changed to cows milk ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was my understanding as well, and I suggested she get a second opinion as well. I know that my friend has put her 1 year old on cows milk about 3 weeks ago, so not sure, I would have thought that if he was going to have a reaction it would have been within that 1st week of going on cows milk.
    Thanks all for the replies. Ill see her today so Ill ask her how he was over the weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by overcrowded View Post
    That was my understanding as well, and I suggested she get a second opinion as well. I know that my friend has put her 1 year old on cows milk about 3 weeks ago, so not sure, I would have thought that if he was going to have a reaction it would have been within that 1st week of going on cows milk.
    Thanks all for the replies. Ill see her today so Ill ask her how he was over the weekend.
    If it's an intolerance (not allergy) then it can take a few weeks for symptoms to show. This is because small amounts can be ok, but once it builds up in their system is when it can make them unwell.