+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently had to move due to work and had to rent out our home. The home we bought was for us to live in for many years so if we didn't have to move we wouldn't have. If there was a job to be done I would probably want to see what was being done too, but that is because of my attachment to the house and we will be moving back at some stage. i don't see why its an issue to let them in? i wouldn't have an issue of the owners of where we are renting wanted to look at a fault. They may think they can fix it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    WA qualified Property manager here.
    Some rules differ state to state so double heck your states rules.

Owner has a right to inspect the maintenance you have reported should they want too.

Owner will be liable for anything that happens to himself or the property because of his messing around with wiring.

Minimum notice period for entry is 24 hours. (However this can be negotiated if you so agree)

By you denying the owner entry and making it difficult, this will obviously irritate the owner and could potentially put your next lease renewal at risk, as essentially its the owners who say yay or nay to a lease extension. And small interactions like this stick very solidly In owners minds.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In vic they have to give you 24 hours nitice in writing. Check your lease details. And yes your agent can enter without you being there for an inspection without you being present. But a goid agent will respect your wishes and make sure your there.

If the owner/agent does an inspection without you being notified just cause they were therr I would definitely complain.

Happy wanderer... I honestly would not care if the owner wasn't licensed. ..he hurts himself...his problem as he did it. Cant see how you could possibly be liable for anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't see why its an issue to let them in? i wouldn't have an issue of the owners of where we are renting wanted to look at a fault. They may think they can fix it?

We have no objection to the owner taking a look at the fault but we do have an objection to having him attempt to fix it. As it turns out, when we received a call giving us minutes notice, we were actually en route to an appointment and so weren't able to furnish the request. I believe we were reasonable there.

The agent has advised us that I am liable if the owner hurts himself and as such he has been refused entry on this occasion. He has been advised to bring out an electrician.

We have been further advised that any electrical fault must be serviced by a licensed electrician. (We are in Qld). So I'm glad I checked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    The agent has advised us that I am liable if the owner hurts himself and as such he has been refused entry on this occasion. He has been advised to bring out an electrician.
    The agent is wrong. You are not liable because its not your house. It's his house he owns it and he would be choosing to endanger himself. You cannot be liable for it. It's actually got nothing to do with you, you're simply a tenant

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's impossible for a tenant to be liable for anyone injuring theselves by fixing a reported repair in a rented home, you are only liable for damages if you personally ( or a member of your family/resident/guest/pet) assaults or intentionally harms someone on the property - all public liability is on the onus of the home owner , which he should be insured for ( if not he is personally liable)

He still has rights to look /inspect any maintenance request before and after completion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looks like in qld its diff rules. Cant believe some agents! They are fine with landlord coming out but ur liable fir injuries!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In NSW it's 24 hours notice for maintenance too, doesn't need to be in writing, a phone call is fine.

It's basically in your best interest to give them access, just try and negotiate a time that suits.

I really can't imagine why you'd be liable if the LL was injured while carrying out repairs. If I were you I'd look into that. Usually it's the other way around, if you're injured because the landlord has done something stupid, then they're liable...

Sent from my doodad on the whatsimagiggy

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have owned rentals across four different states (including Qld) and while the rules vary slightly fundamentally there is not much variation. What there is a lot is inexperienced property managers who have never owned a property (or even rented). It's not a very well paid job so you get a lot of young people starting out and experienced and good property managers are hard to come by. I have received dodgy advise from property managers and as a LL have challenged them, I have had to become quite well versed on my rights because I have learnt you can not always trust what your property manager tells you.

If the LL injured himself, falling off a ladder inspecting work etc, he would potentially claim against the personal liability insurance that he as a LL is required to have. You as a tenant would not be liable.

As for allowing entry, he has a right to inspect the issue. This is where a bit of common sense works well. You have a right to say no to certain times (like baby nap times, school pick up runs etc) but giving a window of time that would suit would would be reasonable.

LLs are not all rich fatcats who have unlimited money bags. Some rely on the rent to be able to pay their mortgage and if rent is down because of costly repairs then they can struggle. It's not unreasonable to question repairs, ask for 2-3 quotes and to inspect issues.

I agree to being present when the LL inspects, but allow it to happen, it's the fair and decent thing to do. Also, for good tenants I will be more likely to agree to requests for extras etc

12. The Following User Says Thank You to davally For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (21-04-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post

The Property Mangager is incorrect.

Wildly incorrect

We are landlords so my thoughts are quite likely to be slightly skewed, but I really think a bit of trust and a bit of flexibility on both sides goes a long way in a tenant/landlord relationship

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (20-04-2013),Ellewood  (20-04-2013)