+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Renting Question (Maintenance Issue)

Hoping a property manager or experienced renter can answer this one.

We had an electrician attend our rental last week and during his attendance he tested some lights in the lounge which were found to be faulty; ie that there was no power going through the actual cord from the ceiling to the light and it needed an electrician to fix. He added that it was a safety issue and that we should put it through as a maintenance order.

So we did.

We get a phone call about an hour ago from the agent requesting that the owner attend the premises to check the lights. I asked if he was an electrician and when she said no, I refused entry.

A senior agent rang back and said that the electrician had told her there was nothing wrong with the house and that it wasn't going to burn down and that the owner just wanted to have a look and could he do it now. Confused and pressured, I said yes. My husband was furious. We waited...and waited....then rang the agency about an estimated time and were told "..oh about an hour..."

My DH then rang them and said no to access, that we had things to do and when they said, oh you don't have to be home, he said oh yes we do and that's that.

I'm a little confused. Why is the owner attending? Do we have to let him in? I mean, there's nothing you can do with the lights. You have to have a ladder for a start and everything else really is up to an electrician. I mean, if the owner (who is not an electrician) touches it and gets electrocuted or something, are we liable?

Anyone with advice as to how we should handle this? I don't want to be accused of being difficult. We need our lights fixed by someone who knows what they're doing with housing wiring; ie an electrician. Surely there's some law that requires this?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Mine do this too. Major leakages, electrical issues, any issues and they want to come and "look" I'd love to know why, too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's good you're staying there, the last time our shower leaked through to the bedroom due to dodgy waterproofing and tile grout they wanted to "have a look" and we agreed. They went through the entire house I felt like my privacy had been invaded. They only needed to look at the shower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you should allow the owner to have a look, he does own the property.

In saying that I also think the agent/owner should give you the correct notice! A phone call is not good enough. I think it is 7 days to inspect the premises (In Qld anyway).

We have had the owner come through our place to look at maintenance stuff and TBH I found it easier to point out what was wrong one time to the owner than having them come back multiple times for separate issues. Some owners don't like spending money on their properties so like to check for themselves they are not paying to fix stuff that isn't required. Which is fair enough I guess

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013),Ellewood  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See that's the thing. I don't think the owner believes that we have a fault. But the issue was inherited. That is, the fault is on the moving in inspection report.

We had our property inspection only 2 weeks ago. We mentioned it again and put in a maintenance order for it at that stage but the agent said she didn't get it. So after we spoke to the electrician fixing the wiring on another issue in the house we submitted a second maintenance request.

I don't want this guy traipsing through our house when there is no need. That's why we pay rent.

I mean what's he going to do, stare at it and then leave?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The owner may just want to check what the electrician was referring to? Maybe he got a huge quote/bill and wanted to check it out? The owner has a right to inspect repair requests ( better notice would have been nicer!)
    Some owners don't care but some want to check everything - you are absolutely
    not at fault if any accident happens to him while he or anyone is there checking the electricity ( his insurance will cover that)
    I would let him in - at a time that suits- so you can at least get it all fixed - at least he is showing an interest , a lot of owners don't!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013),Ellewood  (20-04-2013),happy wanderer  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you should allow the owner to have a look, he does own the property.
    But he has leased it to us and under the provision that it is safe and in good working order. The issue requires a licenced professional to fix which he is not. I have concerns that if he is injured while trying to fix it, we are liable, hence the query.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The owner may just want to check what the electrician was referring to? Maybe he got a huge quote/bill and wanted to check it out? The owner has a right to inspect repair requests ( better notice would have been nicer!)
    Some owners don't care but some want to check everything - you are absolutely
    not at fault if any accident happens to him while he or anyone is there checking the electricity ( his insurance will cover that)
    I would let him in - at a time that suits- so you can at least get it all fixed - at least he is showing an interest , a lot of owners don't!
    Just saw this. Thank you. The agents have a habit of just ringing up and expecting to be let in because they know we don't work and I'm a stay at home mum. I'm annoyed at myself right now for allowing them to pressure me. It's not the first time something like this has happened and the last time I waited for 3 hours for the owner to turn up and he never showed. But they don't seem to care. It's like they think I have nothing to do all day....

Anyway, like I said, we are concerned that he'll hurt himself. Not too fussed about the potential for him to have a snoop as one of us will be there at all times. But yes, I need to put my foot down about adequate notice and will be writing to them this evening regarding this.

Did I mention I hate renting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly don't worry about him
    Hurting himself - it's definitely not your responsibility! I honestly think he is just checking up - he obviously got billed for one call out and then probably thought it strange he gets another one straight away and has to pay double fees - might be a good time to tell him it's never worked and you have that on your inspection report - he may have no idea

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm fairly sure the owner would be liable if it's faulty and the tenants are injured as a result. Am I wrong? Considering they won't just send someone out to fix it but are stalling with the 'looking'?