Hoping a property manager or experienced renter can answer this one.
We had an electrician attend our rental last week and during his attendance he tested some lights in the lounge which were found to be faulty; ie that there was no power going through the actual cord from the ceiling to the light and it needed an electrician to fix. He added that it was a safety issue and that we should put it through as a maintenance order.
So we did.
We get a phone call about an hour ago from the agent requesting that the owner attend the premises to check the lights. I asked if he was an electrician and when she said no, I refused entry.
A senior agent rang back and said that the electrician had told her there was nothing wrong with the house and that it wasn't going to burn down and that the owner just wanted to have a look and could he do it now. Confused and pressured, I said yes. My husband was furious. We waited...and waited....then rang the agency about an estimated time and were told "..oh about an hour..."
My DH then rang them and said no to access, that we had things to do and when they said, oh you don't have to be home, he said oh yes we do and that's that.
I'm a little confused. Why is the owner attending? Do we have to let him in? I mean, there's nothing you can do with the lights. You have to have a ladder for a start and everything else really is up to an electrician. I mean, if the owner (who is not an electrician) touches it and gets electrocuted or something, are we liable?
Anyone with advice as to how we should handle this? I don't want to be accused of being difficult. We need our lights fixed by someone who knows what they're doing with housing wiring; ie an electrician. Surely there's some law that requires this?