+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We still went about our usual life, parties, dinners etc. We did have rules though. NO smokers could hold DS, and he wasn't passed around all day or night. I was quite comfortable to say no to people if they wanted a hold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went everywhere with ds, I would have gone crazy sitting at home. He was at family functions from day one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    With both of mine we were out and about within the first week going to parties etc. the only places I was hesitant to take them was like big carnivals (like the Royal Show etc). I guess i trusted my family and friends to tell me if they were under the weather, and stay away (which they did). Whooping cough wasn't a big issue (well we weren't aware of it) 6 years ago when DD was born. But when DS was born we had our boosters (as did all of the grandparents etc). Again I felt comfortable taking him out knowing that the people I know would never come near a Bub if they were ill..... Plus my eldest was nearly 4 when my DS was born, and my DH does FIFO so I really had no choice but to go to daycare concerts, playgroup, ballet lessons etc with my newborn.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never worried about taking DD out from the start. It wasn't really something that occurred to me, tbh. We just did whatever we would normally do.

The 2nd time around will probably be similar - if not more that way - as the 2nd baby will be taken to all of DD's activities (playgroup, dancing, gymnastics, etc.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had my DS immunized at 8 weeks I was discussing this with the nurse and she said she didn't even think a newborn should go to the shopping centre. People take their sick kids there and germs are easily caught off trolleys etc. I had taken him twice already and he was fine, besides we have to eat right!? It's my second bub and DH works 6 days so I'm not sure what she was saying is realistic.

Family functions are prob less 'risk' but I personally would not let everyone hold the bub.
    I said no to a few things in the early days and said I was not comfortable breastfeeding out and about yet. I'm sure people had negative things to say about me but you know what... Who cares do whatever you feel comfortable doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a winter baby and I went to a few things. But if you dont want to go dont feel obligated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I took DS out all the time but only let close friends/family hold him, and as pp said I trusted them to tell me if they were sick - Apparently its good to get them out and about and experiencing everyday germs as its a good way to start to build up their immune system ( within reason obviously not amongst sick people or handing them around to random unknown people!) but shopping centers, parks etc I think are fine plus it's good to get out of the house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had my 4th and I'm probably the most anxious I've been with any of my kids!
    I even missed our best friends 30th last week.
    I think you should do whatever you're comfortable with. Having a baby is huge enough without worrying about what others think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trust your instincts.

We took DS when he was about 8 weeks to a family function but I didn't want him being passed around so I used the "he is about fussy today" excuse if anyone asked to hold him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took dd grocery doing on the day she came home from hospital, which was Christmas eve. We then spent all Christmas day out as I'm sure you can imagine, but I'm fairly relaxed about these things.

If your not comfortable, don't do it.