+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default young babies - do/did you minimise group events/outings/parties for your little ones

My bub is 7 weeks and I am bit nervous about exposing her to potential illnesses especially pre immunisations. Hence I have not really taken her to gatherings where there are lots of childen/people.

I am not sure if I am being precious and need to get over it. I do get nervous having her passed around but I am a bit anxious ATM.

For example we have been invited to a relatives (not close, just controversly married into DP's family and I don't really feel I owe them anything) 10th party and there will be an expectation that bub and I will go as his dad will be there from over east.

By then she will be around 9 weeks old so will have had 1st round of imms.

Am I alone in feeling like this? Should I just get over it?

From having worked in the classroom, I know how icky (in the nicest possible way!) little ones can be and how quickly things pass around!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont like taking my newborns out and about either, i think its normal to worry about them getting sick at this young age.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she's your first then I think you're allowed to feel nervous - you've never done this before! D: However I think it would be okay to relax a little if you can. Mostly do what you're comfortable with for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cant you go but have bub in the carrier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was pretty worried about illness when I had my first. In all honestly I probably wouldn't have gone because I would spend the whole time stressing and wouldn't enjoy myself. I coped a lot from my family over my "precious" behaviour when I had a newborn but you have to have the strength to be true to yourself. They might ***** about your behaviour now but it will be forgotten soon enough so do what you feel comfortable with and don't be swayed by others opinions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought of this but I know they'll all want a cuddle which is understandable. Plus I cannot master BF in them yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was a little nervous about it too, however took my 5 week old to a family birthday party and just held him myself (didn't pass him around, except for his grandma could hold him).
    We also had a wedding when he was around 8 weeks old, that was ok, he was upset about the loud noise and lighting, so we left early anyway.
    With DS too, we had a birthday at McDonalds when he was only 1 week old, but I didn't go mainly because I wanted to take the opportunity to rest while DH took my 3 yr old.
    I think the carrier is a good idea, however I found my ERGO carrier awkward to use until bub was around 3m+
    I guess its up to the individual, there was one case on the news about a young baby contracting whooping cough before he was due to be vacc'ed for it and luckily that baby survived however he/she was very sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My situation is slightly different because DD was so prem, but at nearly 11 months old I am still worried about where we go / who will be there / who gets to hold her / what kids are around that might have germs etc etc!

I've learnt to realise - it doesn't matter who may think you're being over the top or precious (and there will be some people who think you're perfectly justified as well), it's your baby and your decision. You're attempting to keep her as safe as possible whilst still going about relatively normal life and there is nothing wrong with that, it's admirable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be alone in this but I didn't mind at all, dd was 2 weeks old when we went to a close friends daughters 3rd bday. She was held by everyone too. At 1 mth we went to my sister's 21st and same thing I barely saw her because it was the first tines a lot of my family had met her, and everyone wanted a cuddle. She was always a healthy baby and never sick. Only really started getting sick when she started daycare. But if you feel uncomfortable then that's ok, when it comes down to it it's your baby, do what u think is right.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe because both Dh & I go stir crazy sitting at home, but no we went out pretty much from the day we went home and DS1's first 'function' was at 4-5 weeks old (which was a party for him at my mum & dads who we flew intestate to go to).

DS2 go thrown right in as he was born 7 weeks before Xmas, his first function was at 4 weeks & was a daycare Xmas party. He stayed in his capsule the whole time though.