+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Questions regarding D&C.

Morning All,

I hope I am posting this in the right area, if not pls feel free to move.

On the 6th April I had a D&C due to having a miscarriage. All went well and was discharged from the hospital the following day.
    I’ve had no problems since the procedure, and the bleeding stopped about 3 days ago.

Fast forward to this morning about 1am (so 12 days since the D&C) I woke up with the most extreme cramping pain I have ever felt, it actually woke me from my sleep, I was in tears. I got out of bed and struggled to walk to the toilet the pain was so intense, I then found I have started bleeding again – its bright red, so nothing like the end of the bleeding post D&C.

It’s not heavy, however still there now. The pain is nowhere near as bad now, but still there.

Have any of you ladies experienced anything like this post having a D&C?

I have a doctor’s appointment this evening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I didn't experience anything like that, so I have no idea what it could be.

Good luck at the doctors and if the pain gets really bad again maybe call the hospital you had the procedure at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes!

I had exactly the same as you, down to the pain.

It turns out that there was little bits of 'retained product' that were left behind after the first d&c that took a little while to ball themselves together and then my uterus tried to expel it (hence the cramps/contractions) but it got stuck in my cervix. I went to my gp and she thought at first it was a tampon stuck up there but soon realised it wasn't. She tried to remove it, as did drs in the er but it was too painful and I ended up having another d&c to clear it away.

After that everything was good and I conceived my son the next cycle I had.

Sorry you are going through this xx

Edit: I just re-read your post and notice that you are only 12 days post your d&c. It was 9 weeks later (!) that this happened to me. Still could be something similar though. I was very lucky not to get an infection I was told.
    Last edited by felicia81; 19-04-2013 at 11:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry for your loss

I had bleeding turning to spotting for the first few days then heaps of cramps and more bleeding. I think by memory it was about day 5 that it started. I went to see the gyno as it was so severe and he said that my hcg had dropped down low enough that my body had realized it was no longer pg so that was essentially AF. I have endometriosis so get painful periods and the pain was much stronger than with a normal AF. I was 8 wks with a blighted ovum and my hcg was slowly dropping around the 20,000 mark just beforehand. If your levels were higher they would take longer to drop and so it could happen a bit later (in theory).

I hope it is all over for you soon xxx Just trust your gut and get help if the bleeding or pain seem different or much worse than AF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go get checked at the hospital. It could be an infection due to retained product unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your replies.

I'm heading to the doctors now, hopefully he can point me in the right direction.

Hoping this will all end soon, it has been a very drawn out process

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did you go at the doctor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    All good at the doctors, as the pain has settled down and the bleeding has reduced, he said just to keep an eye on it and to return ASAP if any of the symptoms get any worse.

Today is much better, just about feeling back to normal again after this long drawn out process.

Thanks all for your replies, it does make it easier knowing i can come here if i have any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I only just saw this. I had a mc at 12 weeks in January. Had a d&c straight away but 3 days later ended up spending the night in hospital with the most intense pain I had ever experienced, was passing a flood of blood, huge clots and more retained product. It can happen unfortunately, they only lightly scrape away the lining, as if they go too hard they can cause scarring and infertility, so although terrible, it's just one of those things.

And luckily no problems, as I'm now 6 weeks pregnant again.

Take care it's a horrible thing to go through, first you think the d&c is the end of it and then it's complete hell! Never experienced anything like that pain before!!

Take care!! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and did they give u a course of antibiotics?? Keep an eye on things and let someone know ASAP if u get any temperatures or feel really unwell!! Xoxo