+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I was told by legal aid that grandparents have rights these days and can take you through the legal system to gain access.
    I was lucky in my circumstance that the ex's mother never took her threats any further.
    I would definitely seek legal advice if it appears they are taking steps to get you into the courtroom.
    From legal aid-
    Grandparents do not have an automatic right to have a relationship with a grandchild. However, anyone who has an ongoing relationship with the child, or any other person who can show that they are concerned with the care, welfare or development of a child (including grandparents) may apply to the Court for Parenting Orders. A Parenting Order can be an order that you can spend time with or communicate with the child. It will be up to the Court to decide what will happen, based on what is in the child’s best interests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Your IL's need to prove they have had a relationship with your kids and thus your children are missing out by not seeing them. They have not even met them. Stick to your guns, get affidavits as someone else said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Im sorry you have to go through this

My DH's mother threatened to take us to court for access to our children. I wasnt too worried as she had a child of her own taken off of her by the courts so I doubt they would give her access to mine.

DH has since started speaking to his family again but they have not seen our children in almost 2 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get some legal advice - even if you only call a family law firm and speak to someone. I'm sorry but I'm a family lawyer and some of the responses on here are wrong.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

Maia  (19-04-2013),PomPoms  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can also talk to a Community Legal Centre if you can't afford a lawyer. Family law is expensive
    Last edited by PomPoms; 18-04-2013 at 22:16. Reason: spelling...again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Unfortunately it is - but most lawyers are always happy to have an initial chat. I always do. Just a hint the best time is mid afternoon - mornings are always hectic and after 4pm is a nightmare at most places. Good luck with it.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just remember that no one has "rights" to a child, a child has a right to a relationship with people who will enrich their lives....and it doesn't sound like your in laws fit that bill. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by safam View Post
    I'll try and keep this short!
    DH's parents are attempting to take us to family court because they are not allowed to meet our children.
    Does anyone know the answer to these questions? I'm so stressed!

Will the fact that DH was physically and emotionally abused as a child be enough to allow us to deny them access? How would we prove it when it's their word against his?
    Will the fact that MIL has a police record for taking sleeping pills then driving off in her car and being incoherent/un-findable help us?
    Will the court be really angry that we had agreed to mediate privately and had told them they could meet our children IF we were comfortable, but they decided that wasn't good enough and initiated court proceedings to try and force us? Isn't court supposed to be a last resort?
    Because of the anger and abuse, we have now cut off all contact for good. We gave them about a million chances and they blew it.
    Might we need to retrieve old text messages? MIL has sent nasty and threatening messages, and I feel I can also prove she was stalking us because she messaged 20 odd times per day. Also showed up at our house and left notes on the front step. Also started using other phones to call when we blocked her from calling us.
    Does the court favour a strong family unit? FIL has told DH that he is welcome in their home but I am not. They do their best to get between us at every opportunity.
    We don't hate them, we just want them to leave us alone!!!!
    Grandparents have no legal standing unless they've had something to do with the children previously and it would be considered harmful to just end the relationship.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Your IL's need to prove they have had a relationship with your kids and thus your children are missing out by not seeing them. They have not even met them. Stick to your guns, get affidavits as someone else said.
    This ^^^. My inlaws tried to do the same. Dh and I refused to go to mediation as we were sticking to our guns of them being 100% out of our life. The inlaws had no leg to stand on as they have never had any sort of relationship with our kids and only ever met 2 out of 5 and that was when they were babies (12 yrs ago!). They just wanted to stir the pot but it backfired on them lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. It's good to know we are not alone but I'm sorry for those of you who have also been through it.
    Also thanks to those who are legally qualified. What should I look for in a law firm?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app