+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How often does your kids get sick?

How often does your kids get sick and were they breastfed?
    DS has cold probably every 3-4 months usually during winter. He has had fever 4 times since he's born, he's 2. I breastfed him till 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my experience there is no correlation between BFing and kids getting sick or not with colds, etc. BF mainly protects against gastrointestinal issues.

My DS was FF from 3 weeks and never sick a day in his life. He started daycare a few weeks ago and since then has unfortunately picked a few things up but you'd have to be super-human not to pick anything up at daycare!!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS was breastfed until 6weeks (dried up) then went straight to formula. He is now 8 and he is rarely ever sick. Never had a major illness or even gastro...just the normal cold here and there. In fact, I could count the amount of times he has thrown up in his whole life on one hand.
    DP and I both got the flu last year and DS didnt even get a sniffle.

( *knock on wood* )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds1 got sick a lot, he was breastfed until 8 months when he self weaned. He does have asthma though so that didn't help. Ds2 self weaned about 11 months and has been sick a lot too. I'm talking both of them once a month at least.
    Ds3 is still breast feeding at 16 months and has just got over a bad stomach bug, now has a cold.
    For me personally I think breast feeding only really helped the first 6 months. Ds1 & 2 were in childcare from about 11 months and that's where they got sick. Ds3 hasn't been in care yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always thought bfg protects baby against most common sicknesses so I always felt bad not being able to fully bf my two boys.

DS1 hardly fell sick and DS2 has had at least 3-4 mild colds and diarrhea once. He is 6 months. I stopped partially bfg at 4 months for him.

DS1 hardly falls sick he is 8. But when he's sick he's really sick. He had just recovered from glandular fever a few months ago.

If you are looking at any correlation between bfg and sickness, I actually have seen friends who fully breastfeed their babies but their babies often fell sick, more often than my DSs. It could just be that they are more prone and ours aren't so. That's why after seeing all these cases my DH wasn't that supportive about bfg this round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I have 2 kids, oldest was breastfed for 2 weeks, youngest 5 days due to medical reasons.

Oldest never gets sick. He dod a few times in his first year but he is almost 5 and I cant remember the last time he was sick. He hasnt ever had a day off school or pre-prep or daycare because he was sick.

DS2 however, has been sick his whole life pretty much. He contracted RSV at 8 or 9 weeks old and pretty much wasnt healthy again until after he turned 2. He is 3 months off turning 3 and he sickness has started again, in the last 6 weeks he's had tonsilitis twice, gastro and a cold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls have/are bf. Dd1 weaned at 19mths and dd2 is still going great guns at 10mths.

I don't think bf has a correlation to getting sick but rather has a quicker recovery time. Before I weaned dd1, an avg cold only lasted 12-24hrs. After weaning, 3-5days. Her ear infection went for almost 3wks about three months post weaning!

Dd2 has been in CC for 3mths now and we have yet to have a runny nose last more than 12hrs.

Kids will get sick regardless of how they are fed. I think bf helps with immunity to what mum is immune too (vaccinations that bub hasn't yet received) and recovery time post infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My twins had the exact same amount of breastmilk (6 weeks full time expressing) then comp formula for awhile. And one used to get sick all the time, had two lots of bronciolitis by the time he was 4 months. And the other never got sick ever, he didn't even get a sniffle for the first year of his life. The sickly one was poorly for a lot of the time, but in the last year has started to come good and doesn't get sick much anymore.

I honestly believe these things are down to genetics tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to think that it has more to do with genetic predisposition than breastfeeding.

I breastfed both of my kids (DD until 12 months, DS until 14 months). They were both the sickliest babies ever. Granted, it was nothing major, usually just mild viruses and high temps. But even so, DS was sick 20 times in his first 12 months! And he was being breastfed! It just happened that he had an older sister in daycare bringing EVERYTHING home, plus playgroup, play dates, cousins etc.

DD wasn't sick until she started care, but then she was sick for a solid 18 months. Every two weeks. Fun fun fun.

Now they are quite hardy, but still get the odd illness. DS has had 1 bout of gastro and 1 bout of tonsillitis this year, and DD has also had 1 bout of gastro and 1 virus which caused high temps for 3 days.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is rarely sick. Even when she was in daycare. She was breastfed and attended Childcare early.

Someone from my DIG has a child who is constantly sick. He's been breastfed well past two and had delayed cord clamping.