+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Applying for jobs without using current supervisor as referee??

Hi ladies,

Any tips as to how I can apply for jobs without using my current manager or supervisor as a referee? Basically all of the jobs in my area request that your current supervisor/manager is one of your referees.

To put it bluntly, both my manager & supervisor are horrible & that is why I'm looking for another job. They have only been in charge of our section since January and I have only met them in person a few times since then - so how can they know me enough to provide a reference anyway? They haven't bothered to do their job & come to the location that I'm based at. Basically all correspondance is by phone or email.

They have also both spent ages telling me that half the stuff I have been doing since taking on this role 18 months ago is not my job (and yelling at me for doing it) and then trying to make me do other stuff which I believe should be done by them & I have no clue how to do (and not providing me with any guidance - just getting angry when I say I have no idea how to do it). So basically I feel as though they think I am completely incompetent and therefore I do not want to put them on my resume!

My old manager & supervisor, as well as one of my colleagues, are happy to be referees for me and they all have a true perception as they actually bothered to get to know me & how I do my job.

Is there any way I can get around this? I'm just not applying for jobs at the moment cause they all want my current supervisor/manager as a referee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Put your previous ones and explain what you've said here about them knowing your true roll

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure about the reference bit but where did you work longer? If it was the previous place then Can you put both down and state that you worked more closely with the previous ones and were there for a longer duration etc? Also make sure you DON'T mention your reason for leaving (it being the supervisor etc) your current job cause new employers don't like to hear people complain about previous employers :-) good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just say your current workplace is doing some restructuring and you don't want your current manager knowing you are looking for work in case they decide you are next to go (does that make sense)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    I'm not sure about the reference bit but where did you work longer? If it was the previous place then Can you put both down and state that you worked more closely with the previous ones and were there for a longer duration etc? Also make sure you DON'T mention your reason for leaving (it being the supervisor etc) your current job cause new employers don't like to hear people complain about previous employers :-) good luck!
    I'm actually still working in the same place - it was my old manager who left & then my old supervisor got shimmied off into another role. I really liked my job when they were in charge, but now I hate it.

The old manager & supervisor were with my team for over 15 months though, so maybe you are both right - hopefully I can just put down that I worked with them a lot longer and they knew me better.

I won't let them know why I'm leaving, thanks though.

Meags - actually it's true they are doing restructuring and a lot of people have lost their jobs. So yeh I guess I'll just try saying that. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Many people don't use their current boss as a referee - I am usually honest and say that I haven't necessarily discussed my intent to look elsewhere with them.
    As an employer, nothing sh*ts me more than people who 'play games' in an interview or try to pretend something is what it isn't. Just be honest, tell them you haven't told your supervisor you are looking elsewhere and have therefore nominated a more suitable referee who is aware that you are considering other job options.
    Good luck with the hunt!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Do most people use their current employers as referees? Surely many don't want their current employers to know that they're looking for work.

I would just say something along those lines - you don't want to create dramas in your current place of employment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure if most people use their current supervisor as a referee, I agree it sounds unlikely to me cause most people wouldn't want them to find out (I on the other hand, don't care if they do, lol). The ads specifically asked for it though.

I'll just try a few applications with 'more suitable referees' & see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd use your old supervisor, it's still the same "role" as your current supervisor fills and that's all that should matter the role/position itself, not the person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

Given you all seem to know so much about this stuff here is another question:

I have a degree which I completed in 2010 but have never used - I was unable to get a job in the industry. All of the employers said 'come back when you have 12 months full-time paid experience & we'll consider you'. I spent a year looking for a job (and working in retail) until i gave up, went to TAFE & re-trained and then got a job in my current profession.

I don't feel like I should leave my degree off my resume, but what do I tell the employers when they ask why I've never worked in that industry?