+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I ate like a mental person with DS. Steady diet of burger rings and cream buns washed down with chocolate milk.
    I put on alot of weight and DS ended up being close to 9 pounds. But yet no GD.. Weird! I was heavy then but am heavier now pre pregnancy with bubs #2

I will definitely be talking to my GP about it all and am mindful that despite my best efforts I still might end up with GD. But I will definitely feel alot more comfortable with that diagnoses if i know I have done all I can to eat well and stay fit.

The biggest motivations for my concern RE GD is that I can't be induced as I am trying for a vbac.
    The drugs they use for induction greatly increase my risk of a uterine rupture. And if I get GD they prefer you not to go full term. I will be disappointed if i can't go into labour naturally and really try for my vbac.

I understand for some its all about healthy baby and mum in the end, but I feel its about more than that for me this time. It's also about healthy mental state and I definitely didn't get that with my emergency C section for ds. The fact that I can't remember the first few days of my first borns life saddens me greatly. I would love to have a different experience this time. : )

Appreciate all your comments and sorry for the essay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry OP, we're hijacking your thread with a bit of a GD tangent!

MadeWithLove - I've just been going through all of this as I'm also hoping for a VBAC. My usual OB had said I must deliver by 39 weeks now that I'm diagnosed with GD (even if that means a CS) however he's on holidays so I saw his colleague who said that as I'm managing my GD very well with diet alone, if that continues I can go to 40 weeks (but not over). If I end up on insulin I know it will be a different story - but I also know the risks to bub will go up considerably if that happens so will accept what is necessary.

Also, rememer that VBAC, planned CS or another ECS - this birth experience will be different. I'm taking the attitude that I am controlling every factor that I can in trying for a VBAC - but there are some things in life that we need to accept we cannot control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I completely agree with this. But I took some of the above posts to mean they were consciously trying to lose weight whilst pregnant? I lost weight with both my pregnancies but i certainly wasn't trying to. I had insulin dependent GD with both.
    I would just hate to see a first time, impressionable mum to see these posts and think its ok to diet while pregnant. Especially without talking to their GP or OB first.
    Completely agree and understand! My post however, was for a few reasons... Firstly, I fell pregnant while overweight. Secondly I feel as though Im using my pregnancy as an excuse to eat more and I've put on a rediculous amount of weight in my first trimester.

I do need to lose or at least maintain my weight, not only for the health of my baby but for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I completely agree with this. But I took some of the above posts to mean they were consciously trying to lose weight whilst pregnant? I lost weight with both my pregnancies but i certainly wasn't trying to. I had insulin dependent GD with both.
    I would just hate to see a first time, impressionable mum to see these posts and think its ok to diet while pregnant. Especially without talking to their GP or OB first.
    Oh i definitely agree its never a good idea to actively diet during pregnancy, those sort of things are for afterward

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Quote Originally Posted by itsagirl2012 View Post
    Completely agree and understand! My post however, was for a few reasons... Firstly, I fell pregnant while overweight. Secondly I feel as though Im using my pregnancy as an excuse to eat more and I've put on a rediculous amount of weight in my first trimester.

I do need to lose or at least maintain my weight, not only for the health of my baby but for myself.
    I am in this boat too

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LamaBana82 View Post
    I am in this boat too

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Lama don't worry too much. Both times I found the first trimester really hard as there's just so few things you actually feel like eating, but you are just so hungry! This time I had gastro at 8wks and 16wks which meant I didn't gain weight until later, however since then by being more careful this time I'd gained a lot less weight than with DD. I never starved myself, I just didn't excuse every junk-binge as a pregnancy craving and took care not to let my meals get too big (as I stretched my stomach to accomodate so much food with DD and it meant I was still starving all the time after having her).

I found around 28wks my appetite went up again and I had a couple of big-gain weeks, but that was right about when I got my GD diagnosis this time which, blessing in disguise, has helped to keep me making healthy choices and now again keeping my gain well within what's considered a healthy range.

I had to laugh because when I said something to my midwife about eating more and gaining so much more weight with DD because.... She finished my sentence for me with "because she was your first pregnancy and that's what everyone does".