+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow- I had no idea of this. I completely understand the need to standardise the curriculum.
    DS is in Yr 2 in NSW. Where does NSW rank amongst the state? Out of curosity- and what about other states? NT, ACT (or is that classified as part of NSW?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We recently had friends move from Qld to here in Victoria. Both of their children (twins) who were top of their classes in Qld in year 10 have been dropped back a year to year 9 because they were so far behind once they got here.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    When i was 8 we moved (in summer) from NSW to VIC. In year 2 in NSW we had homework sheets etc. In year 3 in VIC we didnt have homework (teachers choice) and found the school work a lot easier.

Standardising the curriculium is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is the reason they are implementing the national curriculum because it's been an issue, particularly amongst transient families such as defence children who can often move interstate every few years. Defence in particular recognised that children coming from Qld to the southern states were struggling and therefore had a funding package especially set up to help reimburse the cost of tutoring etc to help the Qld children get up to speed once posted to a southern state.

It's not so much an issue now (because of the national curriculum) however it definitely was in the not so distant past.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    The only difference I found between ACT and NSW schools (having gone through school in ACT) was year 11 and 12 are a serperate school from 7-10 high school. Seemed to be the same sort of levels as far as education went.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    This is the reason they are implementing the national curriculum because it's been an issue, particularly amongst transient families such as defence children who can often move interstate every few years. Defence in particular recognised that children coming from Qld to the southern states were struggling and therefore had a funding package especially set up to help reimburse the cost of tutoring etc to help the Qld children get up to speed once posted to a southern state.

It's not so much an issue now (because of the national curriculum) however it definitely was in the not so distant past.
    Yeah, that was pretty much us, but in reverse. We started in the southern states as a defence family, then moved to Qld and were GENIUSES.

My brother was always smart, but I was just in the middle... moved to Qld and I was instantly top of the class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I wouldn't be surprised... QLD has always been notoriously behind when it comes to education.
    I think they are only beginning to catch up with the other eastern states due to the introduction of prep/national curriculum and year 7 making the move to high school as of next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a bit of an eye opener.

We are about to move from NSW to QLD for the next few years and l would never have thought there would be a difference.

I would have just assumed the curriculum would be standardised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    It's becoming that way now. I know in year 2 and the first half of year 3 for my son's school at the time they pushed the kids through a lot of things trying to get them up to date for when the national curriculum was bought in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NatV View Post
    This is a bit of an eye opener.

We are about to move from NSW to QLD for the next few years and l would never have thought there would be a difference.

I would have just assumed the curriculum would be standardised.
    Don't stress too much. We just moved from NSW to QLD ourselves and my dd went from kindy (nsw) to grade one (Qld) and although she is ahead of her peers academically, she is just given extra work/more difficult tasks and she has had it explained to her that she just has to be patient and soon she'll be doing work at her level so to speak. I guess it's a bit easier in that she is such a young grade.