+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please help me! Play/activity time ideas for 5 month old

Hi all! So at 5 months we have finally got past the reflux pain and I have a normal baby. Only problem is I don't know how to play with him. We have concentrated so much on the reflux part I haven't learnt this. I also haven't been around babies at all so fell completely lost. He will play a little by himself but gets cranky and then when I try and play like singing etc he gets cranky too! I need some ideas so I can rotate through them in play time. He doesn't like being restrained so swing, bouncer etc is out of the question. He also isn't sitting up yet and I think that is annoying him.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 5 months its more just learning things like you have been doing with singing and allowing him to play on his own. I also used a bumbo for all 4 of mine and just alternated toys. Lots of playing blocks, puzzle shapes and lots of singing, clapping and tapping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I feel like he is just so annoyed all the time. Must be frustrating being a baby. He goes crazy in the bumbo too. Arches his back and tries to flip out of it!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd will be five months at the end of next week and she is like this too. She is just cranky most of the time. Doesn't wanna be left alone on her play mat with toys or whatever but is annoyed and bored when being held. Its a rough gig atm. Who knows what they want!

I sing and play this little piggy and round the garden on her hands etc that makes her mildy amused. Peek a boo etc

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take them out for walks in the stroller. They like just watching the world go by at this age.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and at about this age I started more organised activities which helped me learn what he did and didn't like. Most places will give you the first visit for free or casual rates. We did Gymberoo, babies into books at the local library, swimming lessons, kinder music, play group etc. it is easy to fill up your week with this type of stuff and they like it as it is new enviroment and things to look at

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd is a bit of an oddjob she needs to be able to see me when in the pram or she flips... So she spends the whole time looking up at me and not at her surroundings. >_<

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all! We do one pram walk in the afternoons and every second day or so another mid morning walk at the shops. I felt bad for him just sitting there but will keep doing it. I'm hoping the constant whinging no matter what I do is just a stage! I will also look up those play group things as well.

Keep ideas coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a few different activities that I rotate during the day;

Activity mat that she lies flat on her back on
    Activity centre which has a seat so she sits upright
    Bedroom floor with all her toys on the ground that she rolls around for (I then sit with her in my legs when she cracks it and gives us another 5 minutes or so)
    Cat hunting, where we walk around after the cats
    Watching mum unpack the dishwasher and helping mum by throwing the plastic items on the floor
    High chair time (she gets fed in a bumbo so the high chair is like another activity centre for her)
    Outside time standing in the yard usually buys 15 minutes of looking around, and more if there are cats
    We go for 2 walks every day
    Looking out the bedroom window

At this stage she definitely likes to look at things, so I'll walk around thee house, changing her position as she cracks it. She also loves singing, peek a boo, tickling, snuzzling into her neck and various toys being hit into the ground.... likes the big noise I guess

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pantsy For This Useful Post:

almai  (10-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My LO has just turned 7 months, and the stuff we've been doing for the last few months is:

- floor time on tummy (but he's been a tummy addict for a long time) with various toys
    - carrying around in carrier/wrap
    - lifting/gently throwing in air
    - peekaboo by hiding behind something
    - singing songs and doing actions (little piggies, round and round the garden)
    - water play

I've found he just likes hanging out with me, and watching his brother play (and trying to steal his brother's toys..) mostly.

that's not a very inspiring list, really, but it keeps him happy.