+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    We did the poop test which showed an elevated level of calprotectin (sp?) but not really high. So it's a little suspect because she could have just had an inflamed bowel from constipation. It's a fine line.
    I've actually added some brown sugar to it a couple of times as I do this normally for the first bottle or two to help with the poop and that didn't seem to matter. My paed wants me to persevere with it for at least two weeks! And he's aware of how important her weight gain issues are....so it's a bit of a nightmare. I told him my gut feeling is that it's not cmpi... So he knows where I stand. The only thing is that he's the dr so he's probably right and if I don't try it and then the blood continues I'm a bad mummy!!
    I read somewhere it's possibly more filling than other formulas...?
    Only you know all the background but I would never put my baby on those prescription formulas without a good reason, and it doesn't seem like she has an intolerance to cows milk protein.

I do think you need at least a week to determine if a formula is working, but is be trying Bellamy's. And many paeds don't recommend soy products for children under six months old.

As I said though, I'm sure there are details we don't know about and I a sure your paed is doing what they think is best. But it is ok trust your instincts too.
    Last edited by kw123; 17-04-2013 at 20:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Argh... I so don't know what to do... I'm thinking I'll give it another 24 hours and then see if things change. She had a massive screaming fit after one bottle today...like it was refluxing (she's on Zantac) and burning her throat. I will ask about bellamys. Isn't that based on cows milk too?
    There isn't too much else I haven't mentioned to be honest. It's so hard to know what's right. I miss breast feeding! It was so much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it is sooo stressful!!

Yes Bellamy's is cows milk based but its also very gentle. So if he doesn't have a CMPI but has a sensitive tummy (like mine) then it could work well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS doesn't have a condition like a your LO but we switched his formula on him and he needed about a week to adjust, so maybe just hang in there for a little bit, though it must be stressful when you are already worried about weight gain
    Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. It's worth asking the question perhaps to her dietician. He is excellent too and works with my paed but won't go against his medical advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sjay View Post
    DS doesn't have a condition like a your LO but we switched his formula on him and he needed about a week to adjust, so maybe just hang in there for a little bit, though it must be stressful when you are already worried about weight gain
    Good luck xx
    Did the feeds drop off a bit until they got used to it then pick up again in volume?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Ds is about 9 months now and he doesn't face the challenges that you are facing with Chloe but even as "healthy" baby he has times when he is remarkably changeable with his formula feeds...it drives me a bit nuts and makes me wonder what's going on but he seems to go through phases of guzzling 200ml and then not drinking more than 50ml at a time.

Also, I think babies are creatures of habit and my Ds absolutely hates any taste that he is not familiar with...but I am a mean Mummy so I just persist with it and get him to have little bits of something (ie., pumpkin) and then by a week or two later when he is used to it it's not new anymore and he is happy eat it.

I know there is little similarity in my experience and yours really but I know what it feels like to just want to make everything all okay for your baby but in my experience (only one Ds, whoops!) my baby definitely needs more than a few days to develop a new taste.
    Last edited by Albert01; 17-04-2013 at 20:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks albert01... I am going to stick it out for a bit... If I do her weekly weight on Friday and it's not good I will not be happy. Prior to the change on added calories regular formula (with blood/mucous in her poop!) she was gaining 200g on average a week... And was almost drinking her required volume. I hope she just gets used to it.