+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How long to adjust to a new formula?

My special little 'heart baby' has always struggled with feeds. Its a long story but now we are up to trying pepti junior formula prescribed from our paediatrician. She had just shown a great increase in volume from her bottles and now I've started pepti junior it's dropped off again. Weight gain is a massive issues for her and she's been going awesome for a couple of weeks, but there's been unresolved blood and mucous in her stools. So we are on the cows milk protein intolerance path....
    I'm concerned she's going to go backwards and not gain weight - I should add that our paediatrician is excellent and is aware of my concerns but wants me to give this formula a go for at least two weeks.
    I'm probably worrying for nothing!
    But I'd like to hear from others who have gone down this road...
    How long did it take for baby to get used to the new formula and start drinking the same volumes? Like did they get used to the texture/taste?
    When did you see a change in behavior and symptoms of cmpi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She's 4 and half months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameless bump.... Anyone out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so u can try probiotics. From 3months added to her milk. It is fantastic and in my opinion worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. Worth a mention to my paed. Her dietician at the hospital was keen on her trying allerpro... A fairly new formula for allergies and intolerances. But my paed wanted the pepti junior so I'm trying that. Her feed volume has been much lower today than normal. It's frustrating,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pepti doesn't taste very nice which might be the issue... We almost used it and were told to add a drop of vanilla to it (the good stuff, not the extract). We didn't end up using it though.

DS got a poo test to test for a CMPI... Can't your GP arrange that for you? That way you will know for sure.

We use Bellamy's and have no issues. It was the fourth one we tried and the only one that agreed with him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you feel that formula is not working for her after a couple of days change. U know best not a doc that sees her for 10 mins. Try something else till something works. Have you considered novalac?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the poop test which showed an elevated level of calprotectin (sp?) but not really high. So it's a little suspect because she could have just had an inflamed bowel from constipation. It's a fine line.
    I've actually added some brown sugar to it a couple of times as I do this normally for the first bottle or two to help with the poop and that didn't seem to matter. My paed wants me to persevere with it for at least two weeks! And he's aware of how important her weight gain issues are....so it's a bit of a nightmare. I told him my gut feeling is that it's not cmpi... So he knows where I stand. The only thing is that he's the dr so he's probably right and if I don't try it and then the blood continues I'm a bad mummy!!
    I read somewhere it's possibly more filling than other formulas...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jordansmumma View Post
    If you feel that formula is not working for her after a couple of days change. U know best not a doc that sees her for 10 mins. Try something else till something works. Have you considered novalac?
    We practically live at his office! He sees her a lot due to her cardiac condition and rare syndrome... In fact if it wasn't for him we would still be looking for a diagnosis and help from allied health services... So even though I know doctors can be wrong he's an awesome paediatrician. I even have his mobile number and email!
    He said neocate or elecare would be the next option. Soy was a disaster. What's novolac for? I will have to google.