+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy confused and scared about nuchal readings

went for my 12 week scan last friday and baby's nuchal measured .53 they said baby has a 1 76 chance of having a chromosonal abnormality such as turners or down syndrome... everything else was fine and normal bloods and organs nasal bone was present... I'm confused as I am only 24 this will be my second baby, they wernt very comforting and I almost felt like I was treated poorly and made to feel stupid when I broke out in tears and started asking questions as I've never had this test done before with my previous pregnancy... I was advised to see my doctor who pretty much said terminate and try for another... Which seems a little drastic and heartbreaking as me and partner tried for a year to get pregnant... I have an appointment with a genetic councillor on friday and IM torn between leaving it alone as I've read there are lots of false positives or having more tests done... It's taken it's toll on me and my partner... He seems really distant from pregnancy since the news and I'm starting to feel alone...any ladies been through similar situations and any advice would be great...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been through this but I have read lots of threads from ladies who have. I'm sure someone can help you out.
    I do know that you can get an amnio done (which I've had) that can give you a definite answer. Good luck xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jodes86 For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been through it either, but I'm sure someone will have some advice =) it must be a very hard position to be in, try to think of it as 75 out of 76 chance that your baby will be fine =) they should offer you an amnio or cvs to give you a better indication of if there is an abnormality.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to melab For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ouch. Being told to terminate the pregnancy is a bit far. My numbers were EXACTLY the same as yours for trisomy 21. There are 2 options depending on your beliefs, there is a cvs/amnio option, where you get a test done to check if they in fact do have an abnormality (but be aware both have their risks) and then if your baby is unwell you can choose to terminate (again if that is what you believe). The second option is researching the conditions and deciding whether you and your partner are willing to care for a child under these circumstances.

I myself had an amnio (from what I know the safer option). The procedure wasnt fun, but in the end I found out I had a healthy baby boy.

One in 76 doesn't sound like great odds, but the way I looked at it is if I had 76 babies, 75 would be healthy.

Research all your options, I had the exact same as you, and my boy is perfectly fine. I wish you all the luck in the world, and if you need to you can private message me with any questions.
    I don't know it all but I can share my experience as everyone is different.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissH For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanx so much, it's been really hard not having anyone to really talk to about it that have been in the same situation this website is godsent honestly I'm glad u turned out to have a healthy baby MISH I'm probably going to choose the amnio, at first I thought no I'm not going to do any testing... But it's only been a few days and the strain of not knowing is already getting to hard to bare I've really had some time to think and if my little baby did turn out with ds or turners this is just me personally, don't think I would manage very well... my partner can barely manage now as it is... I guess if you work the percentage out like that it makes me feel a lot better MISHH as I never thought of it that way... Fingers crossed I can give my little girl a healthy brother or sister.... Were you told that from a nuchal scan? Has anyone out there had same readings as me and gone on to have healthy babies I love reading all the positive stories and outcomes as they make me feel like there's hope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The condition we have is different and not compatible with life, ( was advised 1:4 chance last successful pregnancy became 1:2 when we found we were having a boy) had a very late amino at 25 weeks DS was healthy.
    This pregnancy im having a cvs in 2 weeks. (12 weeks gestation) Got a call from the genetics professor looking at my case and history 2 days ago and was told that there is an a further abnormality in my genes that brings my pregnancies a 1:2 chance but no better

dont loose hope, ignore advice to terminate immediately there are still good odds of a healthy bub- speak to a genetic counsellor an explore testing options. Cvs is done earlier but has a slightly higher misscarriage risk than amino. It can also have a risk of needing an amino later on if an adequate sample isn't collected. Amino is lower risk but later which can complicate decisions to terminate or medically necessary terminations.

also investigate different doctors stats for these procedures- some preform a lot more and therefore have better outcome stats. It is sometimes worth travelling to a bigger hospital etc.

good luck with your decisions and please try not to stress until you have spoken to genetic counsellors about your options
    Last edited by babybabycakes; 17-04-2013 at 10:32. Reason: Forgot something

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (19-04-2013),Tan39  (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I found out through an NT scan. It was my blood work that made the outcome bad and not the scan itself because he's always looked perfect. Make sure they have you fully aware of the risks of an amnio, it's all very scary but Don't be afraid to ask any and all questions, no matter how stupid you feel they might be because they have a duty of care to you. I wish you all the best, I really do.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissH For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    i've not been through this personally but my husband does nuchals. Remember that it is three phase test accounting for the measurement on ultrasound, the amount of free hcg in your blood and your background risk (weight, smoker, ivf etc). They are only 90% accurate and from what I've seen working at the hospital, most of the high risk are from blood results. Did your doc tell you? Because the Sonographer is definitely not meant to due to the fact that there's two other parts that he/she doesn't know about. And telling you to terminate seems really harsh!
    I hope the genetic counsellor gives you more answers and I hope it works out for you!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Coral5 For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Op, during my pregnancy my baby had 1:54 chance of Trisomy 13 and a similar risk for 18. I was told that the syndromes were "incompatible with life" and my ob/gyn strongly suggested that I terminate.
    I elected to have an amnio, instead of CVS. My amnio was done at 12 weeks however unfortunately they could not get a sample - I saw the professor a week or two later. I got the FISH testing done and paid extra so the results for the areas of concern were expedited. It was fortunate that they were able to. My understanding is that after the initial results are forwarded they continue testing to rule out other chromosomal defects. So I had two amnios and the results came back fairly quickly and found out I was having a healthy baby boy.
    I would strongly suggest to you to disregard your doctors advice regarding termination and find out more before you make that decision, if you do. Of course, it's your choice but please do as much research as possible and arm yourself with as much knowledge as possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (19-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, my results stemmed from blood results and were elevated due to certain risk factors. This was not explained to me of course.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

Nyrekz  (19-04-2013)