+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sport in early pregnancy?

What is ok? What isn't?

Im approx 5wks preg by my dates (yet to see the gp). My last pregnancy ended in a misscarriage (5 weeks ago!!!).

I play soccer, was going to stop when i found out i was preg last time but when i lost it at 6 weeks I started playing again. Now im hesitant to stop my soccer incase I lose the bub again and all the explaining i'd have to do.

I love soccer, its my release. I train for 3hrs per week and play 1 70min game/week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I continued weight lifting (heavy stuff) until about 10 weeks. I kept running until about 13 weeks and kept playing volleyball until 17 weeks. I only stopped then because I could feel him kicking and my balance was starting to go when I jumped lol - but I had been training 2 - 4 hours a week and playing two games a week (1 to 2 hours per game).

I stopped the running because I was just plain exhausted. I never got my energy back in the second trimester - I was just utterly exhausted/tired/drained/fatigued the entire pregnancy :P and weights I stopped because well, squatting 125kgs whilst pregnant didn't seem sensible lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I play soccer, too. I am currently approx 7-8 weeks pregnant and would not play right now. It has too much potential for contact for me to feel good about it. In fact, I have been playing in women's teams since I was 12, in 3 different countries, and every team has the same unwritten rule: do not play while pregnant.

Random question: why do you have a 70 minute game?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I play hockey and stopped as soon as I found out I was pg (was easier to wiggle out of with lame excuses as we were playing off season comp over the summer at the time, not 'real' season).

We have to sign a statement each season stating that we understand that our insurance for all injuries is waived if we knowingly play whilst pregnant. Do you have anything similar for soccer? It might be worth considering as even if you sprain your ankle badly or do your knee you won't be covered for treatment (as it could be pregnancy related due to increased hyper flexibility of ligaments etc)

Season just started last weekend, I went and watched my team win 1-0... I miss it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I played my last game (of the 2011) season knowing I was 5 weeks pregnant. I was utterly exhausted and kind of glad when we didn't make the next round of finals. There was no way I could have played another two games.

Like someone else said, if you are injured you might not be covered by the insurance policy. Could you make up excuses to miss some games until you're a bit further along? Best of luck for a sticky bub.

To the PP who asked about 70min, I think soccer games are the same length as hockey games - two 35min halves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I played basketball up until 12 weeks. I believe that until then bub is down low & protected by the pelvis. It's a personsl decision though & you are the only one who knows what you feel comfortable with

Thanks
    Reviews
    I play soccer too but there is not a chance I would play while pregnant. Two girls from our team didn't even sign up last season because they were TTC and didn't want to risk it.

There is a lot of contact in soccer, it can get aggressive, and you never know when you're going to get hit by the ball. I've had more injuries/sprains etc than I can remember from playing whilst perfectly well, when you're pregnant you're even more at risk due to ligaments stretching etc.

Also, as PP said, you will not be covered by insurance if you play while pregnant, which would really suck if you happen to break an ankle and need to be taken off in an ambulance.

I'm also curious about the 70 min game, soccer is usually 45 min halves?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's definitely the contact risk and unpredictability of team sports that put me off rather than the activity in general. So sports like volleyball or weights as pp mentioned would feel ok for me. I'm 28 weeks now and still going to the gym, just doing light treadmill, swimming and light leg work like squats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ive let couch and my manager know that im EARLY preg, and they both knew before my last miscariage too so ive asked them to let my team mates know but keep it low key as who knows if this one will stick. So i wont be playing this yr, fingers crossed that bubs sticks. God knows im feeling very pregnant!!!