+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you think of a 4 year gap between #2 and #3?

Hi, I am seriously considering having my 3rd child and I need a little help/support in the planning process. I currently have 2 girls, DD1 is 4 and DD2 is 2.5, they have 19 months apart between them and that age gap was so close that I felt overwhelmed all the time. Now that they are bigger the age gap is great because they play together, enjoy the same activities and are at very similar stages (DD2 is very mature for her age) but Ifeel like our family is incomplete. I really want one more but I'm still not sure, and the only thing holding me back from doing it is I don't want to go back to the same feelings of overwhelment and stress that I felt with number 2. If I decide to do have my last baby I would ttc in dec and our age gap would be nearly 6 years for DD1 and 4 years for DD2. Does anyone nave experience with these age gaps? Was it hell? Was it amazing? Did the big ones help out or were they resentful of the baby? Any advice or experiences welcome.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only have two kids yet with similar gap to you and I totally get what you mean about being overwhelmed. We are looking at a three year age gap next time, although I would definitely be considering a 4 year one if i was a bit younger or didnt have horrible cycles (so im worried it may take awhile to conceive anyway and we'll have a 4 year one).

My first two sisters and I have the age gap you are describing. It worked out well for our family. I'm the oldest and my two sisters have the four year age gap and were the best of friends from about the time my younger sister was 3. i remember loving having a baby sister at 6. it was so exciting!! mum said i was a great help. my other sister apparently was scared initially and would hide but then came on board too good luck!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cas79 For This Useful Post:

LouLaa  (18-12-2013),vegetus  (07-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS2 is almost 3 when December comes he will be 3&1/2 while Ds1 will be 5&1/2. So we will have a 3.5 year gap. Different compared to my 2 year gap but I think DS2 understanding will be better than what DS1s was when DS2 arrived. I think 4 years is a fine gap

I loved you before I ever met you <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first daughter is 4 and she is getting quite full on and demanding. To the point I am loosing my temper on a daily basis with her being naughty to get attention. We are only now ttc#2 and I think if she had a sibling already maybe she would be less demanding.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was just over 2 when I had DD2, I'd heard that this was a difficult time to have a second but it was actually fine, even though things didn't go quite to plan. DD1 wanted to stay on the boob which made it hard for DD2 and in the end I had to stop BFing her, which I thought would be a nightmare but she took it really well. It was similar with co-sleeping; we tried to move her into her own toddler bed next to ours while I was preg but she just wouldn't have a bar of it, but once DD2 was born she accepted her toddler bed so DD2 could share our bed. I suppose it just depends on the children. It was tough for a while when they were both very young but now at nearly 7 and 4, they keep each other company and play together which actually makes things easier. #3 will be our biggest age gap yet, DD2 will be about 5 and DD1 will be at least 7 or maybe 8 depending on how long it takes for us to conceive. I think this will work well too as they love babies (especially DD2!) and will be eager to help with the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have that gap and it works well.

No3 is now 5 and the older 2 are in year 6 and year 4.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.