+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When I was doing my driving test last year the instructor asked if I would prefer he not talk or if I liked conversation. I asked him to chat with me as it helped me feel less nervous.

Now it depends who's in the car. If its just me and the kids we sing if I have another passenger we talk. If I'm by myself I sing along to my LOUD music and argue with the navman (even if I don't need his directions, I feel less lonely ;p).

*the bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal*

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    When I was doing my driving test last year the instructor asked if I would prefer he not talk or if I liked conversation. I asked him to chat with me as it helped me feel less nervous.
    When I did my driving test they didnt talk unless they were telling me to turn or park etc. she was lovely though I think she was the one who couldn't multitask

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    If I had to drive in silence I would never go anywhere. As you can imagine on occasions I have to ask if there is a siren, so they will all be quiet for 10 sec

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to have music on all the time, although it can't be loud anymore with the baby in the back. I'm also one of those people who for some reason needs to turn the music down when looking for a street number!

My mum is a nervous driver at the best of times but for some reason when she has a conversation while driving she drives at 10km below the speed limit. Drives me insane!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do both, unless the driving is tricky and then I prefer silence/radio down. DH is hopeless, he will slow down too when having a chat. I try and avoid too much talk with him in the car now.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    When I did my driving test they didnt talk unless they were telling me to turn or park etc. she was lovely though I think she was the one who couldn't multitask

Sent from my talky stick

Lol my guy was awesome. We spent most of the test talking about a car accident he was in caused by a minor who stole her aunts car, then the aunt lied about her stealing it so insurance was stuffed up and he was still going to court over it. He had to be cut out of his car and she walked away fine. Possibly not the best of convos to have with a new driver lol.

*the bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If I'm on familiar roads I can chat and drive, no probs. If I'm lost or trying to listen to the TomTom and concentrate, I can only focus on one thing, even the music gets turned down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I drive and chat, but if we come up to a difficult intersection, I'll ask people to be quiet until after we have passed the hazard. If an unexpected hazard occurs, I'll ignore the conversation and focus on the task at hand, then once it is resolved I will apologise and say that I didn't hear them because I was focusing on the road.

I remember seeing a "test" by a current affairs program proving it was dangerous to use a phone and drive. This consisted of getting people that believed that talking on the phone didn't hinder their driving, then getting them to drive an obstacle course at a decent speed whilst conversing on the phone. The phone conversation got to the point of requiring them to solve complicated math problems and demanding answers quickly - and yes it did impact their driving.

I thought that was an unfair test, because it wasn't testing if talking on the phone was a problem, it was testing if requiring focus on something else would cause problems. I would expect that if the scenario was changed from a phone, to a passenger, the effect on the driving would be similar - perhaps even greater because it is harder to shut out a person sitting next to you than a disembodied voice on the other end of the phone.

I really disagree with the law on this issue. You can use a CB radio while driving but not a phone. You can change the station on your car radio whilst driving, but not listen to the radio on your phone. You can look at your watch to check the time, but are not allowed to look at your phone to check the time.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can drive and continue to have excellent concentration no matter whose talking, what's on the radio, whose making noises etc. I'm also very good at driving and talking (probably talking to much).