+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm jumping in late!

I made sure the midwives put it in a container for me and we kept it cool with ice packs. I had mine prepared the traditional Chinese way and encapsulated by a post natal doula.

I agree with GreenMama - they have a particular aftertaste and smell. I also felt really good after the birth (started taking the capsules within 24hrs) and my milk came in easy with a great supply.

Most mammals eat their baby's placenta after the birth.

It's really not everyone's cup of tea but its worthwhile doing some reading and research about it before you rule it out. Taking it in capsule form is really no different than taking any other vitamin, as far as gross factor goes.

I still have around 20 capsules left in the freezer. I take them when I've had a really rough night or day. I feel like they really do help to improve my mood

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (20-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine encapsulated in Adelaide and I highly recommend the lady who prepared mine. Her website is full of information if anyone is interested. Send me a PM and I'll pass on her details.

Thanks
    Reviews
    can I ask those that encapsulated theirs the price they paid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that mine was around $250-$300

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    Most mammals eat their baby's placenta after the birth.
    Yes, most mammals also chew through their cord.

I would do it, purely so I could say I've eaten human flesh, nothing like cannibalism to add to interesting things I can talk about at parties.

Unfortunately we bury ours, that which sustained my babies, goes back to that which sustains us. So I can't give it a go.

I hope it works out to be nice and simple for you monnie, I imagine getting the powder into the capsules would be a pain. Placenta steak instead maybe? You could do it in a yummy marinade.
    Last edited by BlissedOut; 17-04-2013 at 14:32.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bokkie_wotwot View Post
    can I ask those that encapsulated theirs the price they paid?
    Mine was $200 but included the placenta being picked up from the hospital and capsules returned to me within 24 hrs back at the hospital.

My placenta made 130 capsules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a friend that had hers in the freezer it scared me and she explained it was tradition and good for you, I have never tried it and dont think I would have the balls to do it myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    I had a friend that had hers in the freezer it scared me and she explained it was tradition and good for you, I have never tried it and dont think I would have the balls to do it myself.
    I have a freezer full of placenta.

But I've never heard of it being a tradition?

My kids placenta are only in there because I need to take them to NZ to bury them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I threw my placenta in the freezer in a plastic container, as I wasn't sure what to do with after birth.

I ended up getting someone to encapsulate it. It was a big placenta so made about 200, and was about $150, from memory, including collection and delivery.

I am too squeamish to do it myself, but the woman who encapsulated it made some placenta art and also dried the cord into my son's name (long cord, short name). A few years ago, I would have been revolted, but i'm going to get one of the prints framed for my bedroom as it's really lovely.

with flavouring, it might be worthwhile looking into it a there is a slight aftertaste when you take the capsules. I had them with food and lemon-flavoured water which eliminated it (wasn't keen on placenta reflux).

I think the capsules did give me an energy boost when I took them. Either way, I just wanted to do something with my placenta as it was grossing me out being all red and bloody in my freezer (we don't buy meat) and I'm not a gardener so wasn't keen on planting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I have a freezer full of placenta.

But I've never heard of it being a tradition?

My kids placenta are only in there because I need to take them to NZ to bury them.
    I cant remember exactly where it was they were from but something about eating it on the childs 16th birthday or something cant remember it was 17 years ago now lol