+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked
    972
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and congrats!!!! Enjoy your squishy bundle

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    476
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked
    221
    Reviews
    0
    Um why are ppl eating their placenta? I'm curious!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Oh it's not for flavouring, it's part of the traditional Chinese medicine method. They say birth is a very yin (cooling) process and things like lemongrass/chilli/ginger give yang (warmth) back to the mother.

    I can assure you it does nothing to cover up the flavour :/
    Ah ok thanks!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candiceo View Post
    Um why are ppl eating their placenta? I'm curious!
    Supposed to be very good for you.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,546
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,250
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Oh it's not for flavouring, it's part of the traditional Chinese medicine method. They say birth is a very yin (cooling) process and things like lemongrass/chilli/ginger give yang (warmth) back to the mother.

    I can assure you it does nothing to cover up the flavour :/
    Oh gawd, you're scaring me! Every now and again I consider a bit if placenta eating, I know my midwife centre offers the service but I was trying to convince myself that it wouldn't smell or taste vile!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,743
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There's lots of suggested benefits to consuming the placenta like replacing lost nutrients, helping to avoid haemorrhaging, helping with breast milk production, avoiding post natal depression etc.

    As far as I know all not proven, but I guess it's worth giving it a go for many.

    I plan on giving it a go personally... I don't have 100% faith it will do anything but might as well do it in case it does help.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (17-04-2013)

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0
    My doula made mine into capsules for me. I took them in the weeks after the birth. The main reason I took it was to avoid the baby blues, which I did (a big contributor to baby blues is the massive drop in iron that happens after birth, and your placenta contains masses of it) so I was very happy that I did it and will do it again with the next bub

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsreed For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (17-04-2013),LivinOnAPrayer  (20-04-2013)

  10. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    77
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    26
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsreed View Post
    My doula made mine into capsules for me. I took them in the weeks after the birth. The main reason I took it was to avoid the baby blues, which I did (a big contributor to baby blues is the massive drop in iron that happens after birth, and your placenta contains masses of it) so I was very happy that I did it and will do it again with the next bub
    Oh and I forgot to mention that my milk came in after just 3 days and I had/have a great supply.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsreed For This Useful Post:

    LivinOnAPrayer  (20-04-2013)

  12. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked
    972
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    Oh gawd, you're scaring me! Every now and again I consider a bit if placenta eating, I know my midwife centre offers the service but I was trying to convince myself that it wouldn't smell or taste vile!
    Haha sorry, no honestly it's not that bad at all. As far as the preparation process goes I found it absolutely no different from dealing with a piece of meat. It's like liver. It does have a particular...menstruate ish quality (smell) though. The capsules have an after taste but truly it's no worse than a yucky vitamin after taste. Nothing a mouthful of something won't get rid of!

    The smoothie was a different story but that was purely aesthetic. If I had been given it and told it was a regular berry smoothie I wouldn't have noticed. But it looked like a flesh smoothie. Gross.

  13. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks
    1,521
    Thanked
    972
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

    As far as I know all not proven, but I guess it's worth giving it a go for many.

    I plan on giving it a go personally... I don't have 100% faith it will do anything but might as well do it in case it does help.
    This was my thinking too. As DD is my first child I have nothing to compare it too either, but I do think it helped out. I didn't have even a tiny bit of baby blues, milk came in quickly and easily, I felt good all round.

    Funnily enough (not funny actually) I had retained placenta and a massive PPH at 3 weeks PP. So it was a bit of a lost cause in that respect.

    I will definitely do it again if I have another. I found it very easy and it doesn't hurt so why not I figure.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2016, 03:52
  2. Low placenta
    By Blueseal in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 18:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!