+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Eating placenta- info please

Who has done it, what do you do etc

I have googled it but been lazy. I was going to put it in a food dehydrator and crush it?

Having c section today any info would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Leaving it a bit late to plan for it Hun!

I haven't eaten my placenta (I did eat my boogers when I was a kid though).

Bumping in the hope someone else can help you.

Good luck with your csec, how exciting!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (16-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Perhaps ask the midwives when you get to the hospital, maybe they can store it for you while you recover?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

angelsfli  (17-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Let the staff know as soon as you get there that you want to keep and that you will be ingesting it. I took a few ice packs, large zip lock bags and a little esky.

Once we got it home we cleaned it off under the tap then removed the cord and membrane. Steamed it (in a large bamboo steamer) over water with chilli, lemongrass and ginger. Took about 10 minutes on each side for it to be cooked through.

Then sliced it as thinly as I could, laid it on oven trays and let it cook for about 8 hours on the lowest setting with the door propped open (with a wooden spoon).

Then crushed it in a mortar and pestle and put it into empty gel capsules.

DP also made me a smoothie with a piece of it before we cooked it. It tasted like a normal smoothie but it looked beyond revolting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls while I was in there I asked in theatre they kept it and said only for one night. Dp took it last night to freeze and when we get home we will google some more. (I had a section so thought it would go off in fridge)!!

Thanks!!!! Greenmamma that sounds like a great idea dp says jerkey lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Let the staff know as soon as you get there that you want to keep and that you will be ingesting it. I took a few ice packs, large zip lock bags and a little esky.

Once we got it home we cleaned it off under the tap then removed the cord and membrane. Steamed it (in a large bamboo steamer) over water with chilli, lemongrass and ginger. Took about 10 minutes on each side for it to be cooked through.

Then sliced it as thinly as I could, laid it on oven trays and let it cook for about 8 hours on the lowest setting with the door propped open (with a wooden spoon).

Then crushed it in a mortar and pestle and put it into empty gel capsules.

DP also made me a smoothie with a piece of it before we cooked it. It tasted like a normal smoothie but it looked beyond revolting.
    Totally just curiosity on my part, by why bother with flavouring if its getting encapsulated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh! And congrats Monnie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Totally just curiosity on my part, by why bother with flavouring if its getting encapsulated?
    I think because capsules can still taste and smell manky! My vitamins are vanilla scented/flavored and even then they're still foul.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Oh it's not for flavouring, it's part of the traditional Chinese medicine method. They say birth is a very yin (cooling) process and things like lemongrass/chilli/ginger give yang (warmth) back to the mother.

I can assure you it does nothing to cover up the flavour :/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-04-2013)