+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    If you actively refuted the presence of a deity, did not want your child to take the first step of indoctrination into a religion where they have given no informed consent, did not want a permanent record that your child was part of a religion and/or believed that the religion was morally corrupt and partially responsible for significant suffering and perpetual poverty cycles then having the child baptised does not equate to a 50/50 compromise. The only win/win compromise would be to let the child decide when they are of a suitable age.

Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it is above being challenged. We should never do things just because they have been done for generations previously.
    Someone raising their child with no religion until they can decide for themselves isn't a win for them either. That is a win/lose. This is about children and how you intend to raise them. For some that means indoctrinating them into their families religion, but doesn't mean complete immersion.

In your circumstance I think being with someone of a religion (as you described above) would be a problem. Unless they are willing to compromise for you, I can't see how it would work for both parties by your example. It's not a 50/50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Yes, this is exactly how my DH feels about the fact that he was baptised.

And it's not just that he doesn't believe in Catholicism, but that he is morally opposed to it too.

I guess it would be similar to a Catholic being 'baptised' into the Church of Satanism, or someone being inducted into a political party which they believe to be inherently bad for society. As an adult you can choose not to follow it, but to know that in the future there are records denoting you as a member of that faith/ political party/ whatever, can be quite galling if it's something you feel is immoral and not something with which you want to be associated.
    I'd say if someone is truly troubled by being Baptised as a baby they need to harden up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ahh VicPark. God love her. I know a couple of people who resent that they were baptised without their consent when they were too young - and for very good reason - because the Church let them down immensely and caused their lives much grief and pain.

Others I know get a great laugh from it because no matter how hard their poor parents tried to brainwash them, it just couldn't stick.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that this stuff should have been brought up waaaaay before babies were ever brought into the equation. I am surprised that baptism never came up in conversation before and now its all come to a huge problem.

Thing is I dont think there could ever be a compromise over something like this if both parties strongly believe in different view points. One wins and one loses.

No advise OP (sorry wasnt going to wade through all the pages and pages of chatter) but I think both parents need to sit down and work out exactly why they do or dont want a baptism and hopefully they can come to some sort of resolution when they can plainly see the others viewpoint...not just bold statements like 'I want it done' or 'I dont want it done'.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'd say if someone is truly troubled by being Baptised as a baby they need to harden up.
    Haha well wouldn't it be awesome if the whole world were just like you VP!

But they aren't and while that may be true for some it ain't for others... But that's not even the issue here! oP said nothing about 'damage to child'... It's about respect for people's core beliefs. The OP isn't religious and as far as she knew her partner wasn't... So now she is faced with a quandary of her core beliefs, future repurcussions ('mum why did you baptise me?') etcetera.

Parents like to lead by example. Core beliefs play a big part in that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (18-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    No. Godparents are there to support the parents in raising their children thru their faith.

A non catholic can be a god parent but not a non Christian.
    I know several non-Christians who are God parents to children baptised Catholic.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Haha well wouldn't it be awesome if the whole world were just like you VP!
    Why yes it would be!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Another deeply insightful post.

It's not so much a case of being troubled about something, as it is wishing that something had not occurred.

If there had been a way for my parents to affiliate me with the Amber Teething Necklace Appreciation Society/ Anti-Vaccination Brigade/ Homeopathy Rules Society as a child and, as a result, I was now on record forever more as being a part of that organisation then I can safely say I'd be pretty annoyed about it.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-04-2013),BlissedOut  (18-04-2013),Busy-Bee  (18-04-2013),shelle65  (19-04-2013)