+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You sound just like me! Hugs

Im not going to be much help, but This has only been happening for the past 2/3months... Everyday!! Drs don't know what it is, nor does the physio, chiro etc.
    iv been put on some prescription anti-inflammatory tablets which are ment to be "safe" in the long run...
    DD is now 17mo and some days my mum has to watch her while I sleep/rest (luckily we live with my parents!) ... It may sound stupid but physically can not function when the pain is really bad!

I hate it so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I have birth to DD and started breastfeeding my back started aching terribly to the point I'd feel like throwing up, thankfully its all better now but for 6 months I was in constant pain. When you're a mum you just soldier on and get on with it, however OP I think your condition is much more serious and it does sound like you'll need help looking after a baby, I'm not saying its impossible but if you have a support network having a baby would be a lot easier.
    I do think you need to get to the bottom of your pain, if not for a cure at least a diagnosis. Also I'm sure you've searched a lot of conditions but I feel compelled to throw this your way: have you ever heard of chiari 1 malformation. It often goes in undiagnosed and its main symptoms are headaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would suggest going back to your GP or another one and getting a pain unit referral.
    If he tries to dissuade you, tell him you want the referral anyway so you can make your own mind up.
    Tell him you have thought you may decide not to have children due to the debilitating nature of your pain and that you worry how you would cope with dependents. Perhaps he will finally GET your pain is serious.
    I agree with a previous poster. He sounds like a moron.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!!!

I have considered looking at my diet, and will think more about that and do some research etc before starting anything.

I guess I have to face up to the fact that I'll have to go and see the gp again to get a referral. I'll check out the website suggested though & see what they say.

I have some supports for when I have a child, but not many during the day (weekdays). Both my parents work full-time, and although I know they will take time off initially, I can't expect that forever, they need to keep their jobs. My MIL recently passed away and FIL also works full-time during the week. BIL & I don't get along very well. I don't get along that well with one sister, and the other one is at uni studying for a profession which will be demanding and will involve a lot of shift work - I know she will come when she can though as she is already excited about being an aunty. I don't have that many friends. So during the week when DH is at work I'll basically be by myself, which really worries me.

I've never heard of chiari 1 malformation but I'll do some research.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been living with chronic pain for 23 years now. I no longer take any pain killers and pretty much just tough it out. I found the side effects and downsides of painkillers to be worse than just gritting my teeth and getting on with it.

My pain is in my hands, arms and shoulders. I worried when I had my babies that I would drop them and I worried about not being able to care for them but I have found that I have done ok. I haven't dropped a child yet so I must be doing ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!

Ky, I'm interested to hear more about how you tough it out. Often the pain-killers don't work for me, but I don't cope that well. I get really really angry about how much it has destroyed for me in my life - so many things that I felt like I couldn't do etc. Half the time I end up in a massive fight with DH about it which I really don't want to do.

When accupuncture actually worked I had about six months relatively pain-free. That was the first time that I could remember not being in pain & it was amazing! I finally got to find out what living life was really meant to be like, that it was more than just 'existing'. And now that the pain is back this makes it 100% harder to deal with, given I've found out what my life could be like without it.

I'm just back to feeling like I'm simply existing. We were planning on going on a camping/hiking trip into the bush but I doubt we can now - I'll no doubt spend the whole time in the tent with a headache.

I really need some advice as to how I can ignore or work though a headache? I do try but it is really hard - I want to still do these things, even if I don't enjoy it as much as I would if I didn't have a headache, but it's better than not getting to do it at all. I just don't know how to tough it out.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how I do it, I just do. I think I accepted that I was going to have to live with it so just got on with it iykwim.

I have problems with icepick headaches that when I am in the midst of an attack, I have up to 80 episodes a minute almost constantly for up to three weeks at a time. During those times I am barely functioning. I do what I have to do ie looking after the kids and very basic cleaning as I am a FIFO wife and am on my own most of the time, but I am so drained that I take all opportunities to sleep. When my baby is asleep, I am asleep. I fall asleep almost every time I sit down. I don't drive for more than 20 minutes at a time without pulling over to have a snooze on the side of the road. Considering I live an hour from the airport, it becomes a huge journey when I go to collect DH.

I am in the lucky position of having two older children (10yo and 12yo). They are a great help to me and probably the reason I cope as well as I do. I try not to put too much responsibility on them but at times, I have to as I am too exhausted to function.

It's hard to describe the pain. In my hands, arms and shoulders, it is like the feeling you get when lactic acid builds up in your muscles after holding something above your head for too long. The constant burning pain is horrible. The ice pick headaches are named aptly. They feel like someone is stabbing me with an ice pick over and over again and I have to stop and clutch my head.

I hope that you can get some medical help to get you through this.