+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to drop third nap?

Hi all,

Just wondering - when do babies start to drop their 3rd nap?

We are in that funny sort of pattern where if nap 2 goes for too long, nap 3 then cuts too close to bedtime, but if we go without it, then wake time between nap 2 and bedtime is over 4 hours!!

Bub is 7.5 months old - we've just gotten back from overseas, and trying to get back into the swing of things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    We dropped ds 3rd nap at 8months.
    Morning nap at 9am for 2 hours
    Wake him at 11
    Afternoon nap at 2pm for 1 1/2 -2hours
    Wake at 4
    ready for bed at 7-7.30pm
    Works great for us, he is now 12 months & still on the same sleep routine :-)
    Hope this helps x

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD dropped to 2 naps at 6ish months and is now on 1 nap (3hrs) at 8.5mths. It all depends on the child IMO. I would try dropping to 2 and see how you go. Give it a couple of days in a row so the length of naps extends before throwing the towel in is my only other suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both girls dropped their third nap around 7-8mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses! Really appreciate it :-)

I think I'll give him a week or so to see how he settles - among other things, he's spending a few days a week at my parents' place as I'm back at work tomorrow. But it sounds like if he keeps up the long napping, he might not need the 3rd for much longer.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 long naps (you lucky thing) will probably be enough! My 7.5 mo is down to 2 a day, usually 45 minutes in the morning and around 1.5 hours (if I'm lucky) in the afternoon. We are in a 2-3-4 routine (2 hours awake before first nap, 3 hours awake before second, then 4 hours before bedtime) which seems to be working fairly well unless the second nap is really short. She will often have a third catnap in the afternoon if she's in the pram or car, but at home I don't put her down for a sleep. It can make for a long afternoon but since we start dinner at around 5pm that helps fill the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    8-9 months here

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

Toriz23  (06-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually wondering the same thing. DS is 6.5 months and he has a pretty consistent schedule, but sometimes he does push the last afternoon nap really close to bed time. He still seems to need frequent napping so I figure I'll just wing it until he sorts himself out!

Everyone's lucky to get these 1 hour + naps. HOW?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boy use to have 40min naps, could never get him to nap longer, he just started the long naps about 8mnths old, 1year now. I didn't do anything different he just learnt to sleep longer for day naps :-) & if he doesn't have his two long naps during the day it's always a bad night of being up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked on DS's naps for a while when he was 4-5 months (when the sleep regression hit and he would nap for 45 minutes on the dot). I would go in as soon as he made a whimper at 45 minutes and pat him or give him the dummy until he fell asleep again. I did this consistently for about 1.5 weeks and then he started sleeping longer by himself.

He doesn't always have a long nap now, but most days his early nap is about 1.5 hours.

Since I originally posted, our nap timing seems to have sorted itself and without too much fuss. most days, if he has a 1.5-2 hour morning nap, we are getting by on 2 naps a day. He might have a little catnap in the car or pram too.

Thanks again for your replies everyone!