+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Her cars light was smashed and there was a big dent. She had a little daewoo so it sort of just crumpled.

Nrma said that when she claims if it is under our excess price then we can do it privately but smash repairers are so expensive it will easily go over.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't drive. I saw a huge and traumatic car accident when I was living in Fremantle when I was a little kid, and now I suffer from anxiety when I drive or am a passenger in a car, to the point where I usually need to have sunnies on and my eyes closed the entire time. I wish someone had forced me to learn to drive when I was younger, as I think it would have eased my nerves, so I second the advice to get back on the road ASAP. It's called an 'accident' for a reason, and it's the exception rather than the norm. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was a baby and my brother was a toddler my mother was in a near fatal car accident where she was not at fault. She had to be cut from the wreckage and had multiple operations. Had her face reconstructed and was in a wheel chair for a while.

Now that I am older I can see how it affected her (she's still a nervous driver and passenger nearly 34 years later) and I so appreciate the fact that she pushed those fears aside for so many years. She drove me to ballet and acting lessons and my brother to football and basketball etc ... We went on family holidays to the gold coast and the snow almost every year ( my dad stayed at home to work while we were on holidays so my mum did ALL the driving).

It was an accident. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That must have been horrible to witness mrsharvey it's something that I'm sure would be very hard to move on from.

!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    It's called an 'accident' for a reason, and it's the exception rather than the norm. Good luck!
    DH actually just said this exact same thing to me ^^^

I know I need to drive I just don't want to. Perhaps I will take DD to the video shop this afternoon and just suck it up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't drive, but for very different reasons to you. I moved out of home quite young, moved interstate and to be honest just never had the money for a car,and no one to teach me to drive so I have survived perfectly fine with trains and buses. However even before I moved out of home I trained and bused everywhere. My mum doesnt drive so I've always known how to survive without a car.

In your situation I can totally understand being shaken up, but I don't know that avoiding driving is the answer. Good luck OP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I dont drive as i am petrified. I dont even have my learners but have made it almost 6yrs of parenting fine without a license or car. I do want to learn as i want to change jobs but because i am petrified, its holding me back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't drive....because I have always been absolutely terrified of it. I am perfectly fine to place my life on the hands of other people who drive though...

But, not driving just does NOT work for me now that I am a Mum. Even though I am 15 minutes walk away from a train station I have found that being a Mum without a licence is lonely...I feel like a prisoner in my own home sometimes...so, after 20 years of having a learner's permit I finally have my test booked.

OP, I am really sorry that you had an accident yesterday. No doubt you have had many, many, many days of very safe and careful driving. Don't forget about that.

Accidents just happen sometimes and the fact that it wasn't a serious accident is not just good luck.

It wasn't a serious accident because you are a skillful and careful driver...as evidenced by your Dp.

Unfortunately, everyday you avoid driving your fear and doubt in yourself will grow. Avoidance of what we fear simply reinforces the fear.

It is really important that you get back into the car and start driving again. Choose drives that you know well and feel very comfortable with. Go out by yourself in the car while your Dp looks after the kids if you need to...goodluck.
    Last edited by Albert01; 15-04-2013 at 14:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    oh no, that sounds awful and scary!

I didn't drive until last year, a few months before my 26th birthday. I had a child when I was 19, and I live in an area where Public Transport is limited and unreliable at best.

I managed, but am SO glad to drive now. Life is so much easier.

It's do-able, but it does make life more difficult.

Perhaps if you're feeling really affected by it you should find someone to talk to to help overcome that? And maybe take a defensive driving course or something to help regain your confidence?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get your DH to take you to an industrial estate after hours and just drive around the empty roads for a little while and just ease back in to traffic gradually.

If you only had one child it might be do-able to not drive, but you have 3 kids and are obviously used to the convenience and you have activities and a lifestyle that depends on your ability to drive.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's like riding a horse, if you fall off you just have to get back on again!

Industrial estates are great places to drive around and get your confidence up.

In my first week of having my p's (geeze that was almost 10 years ago), I first reversed into a stack of pallets then driving home to fix my bumper, I was tboned at 80kms an hour and spun around into another car.

It really shook me up but dad made me get back into driving again and I was all fine after my confidence came back.

I just wanted to add that I stumbled across (drove over a hill and was first on the scene) to a fatality when i was 18 between a motorbike and 4wd. And that really shook me up for a long time. If you find you aren't coping well, then take the measures to see someone and they'll help you overcome your fears.
    Last edited by LifeInShadesOfGrey; 15-04-2013 at 16:18.