+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does anybody NOT drive?

Yesterday I ran up the back of someone. It was really horrible. Nobody was hurt and there was not that much damage but it was bad enough. The other person was really nice about it but I am still really shaken up about it

I am seriously contemplating not driving for a while...it has really affected my confidence. I am so worried it will happen again. I thought I was such a safe driver, I actually annoy DH with how cautious I am so I just don't know how this could have happened. I am so annoyed at myself.

If I stopped driving for a while it would mean taking the girls out of dancing and swimming lessons and walking DD to kindy and home. DH works 4 on and 4 off so I would need to plan around that which would be doable.

To make it even worse our excess is $2225 because I am 24.

If you don't drive how do you make it work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ran up the back of someone a few years ago and it really shook me up. But my then partner forced me to drive home as he knew if I did get do it straight away I'd never do it.

So I know how you feel, but I wouldn't give up driving as it will be so much harder to start again the longer it's left

You had a accident.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (15-04-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't drive and it's easy to get around, because i live in the inner city. But I totally agree with Bexter, I think you need to get back into it or it will become a bigger issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I'm not driving at the moment because the car we have in manual and I haven't learnt yet. I'm lucky in a sense that DH is on DSP and home all the time. He runs me to where ever I need to be for work and does the school runs. He drives me to the shops if I need to go too.

I didn't get my P's until DS was 3 or 4. In Canberra I walked or bused it everywhere but I was used to that having grown up there. When we moved up north it was a bit harder with public transport but I did walk a lot with Ds in the stroller. In brisbane it was easy again because PT is everywhere and even DH chose to use it more than the car. When we moved to the south coast of NSW it was a bit harder until I actually got my P's but I was lucky to have family to help out then.

I only had 1 baby/toddler to deal with the whole time though so I think this made things a lot easier to deal with. Now DS is school age but isn't involved in after school activities as yet.

I've run up the bum of someone before too but it was the slightest nudge and there was no damage on either car so the guy was happy to let it go. It did make me feel bad but I couldn't let it stop me driving at the time because DS's school was not accessable by any other means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've only had my Ps a few months. In that time, I've scraped the front bumper, hit (gently, but still) a fence and smashed off the passenger side mirror

I think stopping driving will only make it worse for you. You will make it bigger than Ben Hur in Your mind and going back will be even harder.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly Pouts, get back behind the wheel...like today. The longer your leave it, the more you will build it up in your mind and it will make it harder to go back to driving. I'm sorry that this happened but you really do just have to get back on the bike, as the saying goes.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-04-2013),LoveLivesHere  (15-04-2013),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    If I stopped driving for a while it would mean taking the girls out of dancing and swimming lessons and walking DD to kindy and home. DH works 4 on and 4 off so I would need to plan around that which would be doable.

To make it even worse our excess is $2225 because I am 24.

you?
    First of all I'd be looking at new insurance company as there is no way your excess should be that much!!!!! Mine is $1200 which is the standard $600 + $500 for being 21 and I've had 2 claims in the last 5 years as well.

It was minor ding. It happens. You didn't hurt anyone or kill anyone. Giving up driving will seriously affect your life and put your daughters at a disadvantage. Are you going to expect your daughters to walk home from kindy in the middle of a thunderstorm because you won't drive to pick them up? What if you need to take them to an urgent doctors appointment? It's just not practical. If it was a horrific crash and people had died, it'd be a bit different but all you've done is just run up the back of the someone. Happens all the time when someone stops sooner then you think they're going to.

hop in your car right now and go buy yourself some chocolate and a nice movie to watch. It's okay to be shaken up, but you need to move on and get back on that horse!!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I've only had my Ps a few months. In that time, I've scraped the front bumper, hit (gently, but still) a fence and smashed off the passenger side mirror

I think stopping driving will only make it worse for you. You will make it bigger than Ben Hur in Your mind and going back will be even harder.

Snap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    First of all I'd be looking at new insurance company as there is no way your excess should be that much!!!!! Mine is $1200 which is the standard $600 + $500 for being 21 and I've had 2 claims in the last 5 years as well.
    It's our fault it is so much. It's in DHs name and with NRMA they cover whoever is driving the car so we never bothered reading the policy. We found out this morning that We should have listed me as a driver and then excess would have only been $1100.

It's just another thing to make me feel guilty about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    It's our fault it is so much. It's in DHs name and with NRMA they cover whoever is driving the car so we never bothered reading the policy. We found out this morning that We should have listed me as a driver and then excess would have only been $1100.

It's just another thing to make me feel guilty about
    ouch. How much damage is there? Does your car need to be fixed? Another option is to not claim through insurance if the other cars damages are under $2000 and just pay it privately.