+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I give her the boob whenever she wants it.

At night I don't turn on any lights and I don't talk to her or give any eye contact. I feed her to sleep at night lying down and put her straight back into her bed when she's done. She's 11 weeks now and between 9pm - 7am wakes once or twice for a feed only.

I agree with everyone else above - do what works for you! Theres no right or wrong way. If something works now, do it. If it stops working, try something new.

If your worried about knowing if she is really hungry, i recommend googling dunstan baby language. In the early days that helped me distinguish hungry/tired/burp me. Now I know most of her cries and sometimes I offer boob for comfort only when she needs it.

I also found the wonder weeks app fantastic. Explains why a bubs might be 'unsettled' and I love knowing the extra crying is a normal developmental thing and that extra comforting is needed to get her through.

Hope this wasn't too rambled. :/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazyaboutbubs For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013),SugarSkull  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is my first time successfully breastfeeding, so its all new to me as well. When ds was a newborn i let him suckle whenever he wanted. if he wanted boob all night, i let him. if he cried he got boob. he got boob to fall asleep. i think it helped so much with my supply. the more bubs is on ur boob in those early days, the more milk ur going to make.
    Once my supply was established and ds was feeding regularly and gaining weight appropriately, ive slowly began to offer a cuddle instead of boob. i knew in the long run, i didnt want him to be attatched to me 24/7 for boob comfort.
    Now instead of feeding him to sleep ive found out he really likes a dummy and to be rocked. A dummy is very soothing for him at sleep times and it gives me a break.
    Like pp have said, i will offer boob twice thru the night (comfort feed of each side at a time), then i will get dh to settle him with the dummy and rocking.

Its totally up to you and what you want/what works for your baby in regards to comfort feeding or dummy's. As ds feeds 2houlry still, its a relief that ive dropped the comfort feeds but sometimes he still needs the odd one so he gets it. Just go with ur bub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Ok so I've seen people say different things about comfort feeding/feeding to sleep etc and I'm a bit confused. I'm still around 6 weeks away from having bub so I really have no idea at this point but I want to be prepared.

On the one hand, I've read that breastfed babies will wake frequently during the night, and that's normal. But then I've seen other people say that if they don't want to feed bub every time they cry because they don't want to encourage 'comfort feeding'.

So how do you know if your baby is hungry or just wants to suck for comfort? I want to try to avoid dummies if I can and I've been told that babies will often just want to suck and its fine to give them the breast for that reason, but then other people just seem so against it?

I don't want bub to always have to be bf every time he wakes up in order to get back to sleep but I assume that they grow out of comfort feeding at some point? But at the same time I don't want to deprive him if that is what he needs. What if he's actually hungry every time he wakes up? How do you tell?

Sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I don't really even know what I'm talking about I'm just a bit nervous about the whole bf thing, I really really want it to work for us and I feel like there's a lot of conflicting information about the 'right' way to do it
    I can see why you're confused OP, because it is all very confusing in the early days and especially when you haven't nursed a baby before.

I guess for me, I don't have any issue at all with whether my kids are feeding for 'nourishment' or whether they're feeding for 'comfort'. To me, it is all part and parcel with me being a demand feeder. I care more about tending to my babies cues then having them sleep through the night, so if they wake me for a feed I am happy to oblige (for whatever reason that may be).

OP, In the early days you feel like you're non stop feeding because you need to build your milk supply and infant's don't have a big stomach so they may feed quite a bit. This sort of 'round the clock' feeding *usually* tapers off as they get older and sleep for longer periods of time and it is then when you may hear others say they don't like to 'comfort' feed.

I guess my best advice would be to wait and see until you have your baby and take it from there. You really don't know how things will be until then and things will make a lot more sense when you're experiencing it for yourself iykwim and IMO the only thing that is 'right' is what works for you, not what works for others.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found that overnight, when DS stirs I give his bassinet a little rock, and if he hasn't gone back to sleep I will feed. When he was a very newbie that was frequently every 2 hours. Now it's every 3-4 but last night it was 8 hours. I've done nothing different and it was all led by DS. He is in our room and I don't want to wake DH so I'm pretty quick to feed but I only have a dim lamp on and there's no talking etc, just a feed, nappy change if necessary and then bed and he will settle himself.

I found during the day I got more criticism from people as DS feeds frequently, up to 1.5 hourly as he feeds on waking and before sleeping. I have learnt to ignore them. DS is a happy and healthy thriving 8 week old and we follow his cues.

It is confusing but I just say go with what works for you and your DS as that is different for everyone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice Some awesome info here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds is a week off 6 months and I still ask myself is he waking because he is hungry or just needing help going back to sleep.

Ultimately I don't want to feed to sleep all the time because then he will get used to it and I will be the only one who can put him to bed, but sometimes it is what he needs so I oblige.

As the pp's have said, when the time comes just do what your instincts tell you.

But in the early days it is important to establish a good supply by not limiting bubs time on the breast. So I was told even if it has only been an hour, if bubs seems like he is hungry, he probably is so feed him.

Good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    It really does come down to what you're comfy with, and what you think your baby needs. I don't comfort feed at night. DD wakes 2 or 3 times for a feed in the night. If she wakes any more than that I send DP in. If he can't settle her in 30 minutes I'll then feed her, but otherwise I don't want her coming looking for feeds every hour all night. We don't bed share, so I won't comfort feed. If you want to bed share and are happy to comfort feed, that's up to you. There's no right way to do it. But i would say at least for the first few months, offer your baby feeds whenever they want it, as you can mess with your supply if you don't. But as they get older and you know them better, you can tell a bit more when they're actually hungry.
    Yep. Also following a feed, play, sleep routine can help avoid feeding to sleep association (I pat/rock my DD and try not to feed to sleep very often). I did feed to sleep with my DS and found he woke frequently at night because he needed feeding to get back to sleep - we fixed it by doing what Fearless says above and sending DH in for 30 minutes first. This frequent night waking from "bad habit" will usually only start after about 4 months (4 month sleep regression).

DD is 14 weeks old and I do try to feed her roughly 3 hourly during the day but if she is upset and seems hungry or won't be easily settled any other way I feed her, even if it's only been an hour since her last feed. And at night I always feed her when she wakes, we had a week two weeks ago where she was waking every two hours, it passed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have breastfed 6 kids, I found feeding bub whenever they wanted it, worked for us. I fed to sleep, I allow comfort feeding infact i offer it if I know bub is in pain etc...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to comfort feed, approximately every 1 1/2 hours during the day, but then we found out he was lactose intolerant and getting way too much lactise rich fore milk. I really miss it

Love_Monkey_Heart is offline Blessed with a very cheeky Monkey!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    So my motto is that you can't over comfort a baby and if in doubt pop a boob out.
    I lived my this motto haha. If I couldn't figure out what was wrong with DS I would just pop a boob out and everything would be good again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Love_Monkey_Heart For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (15-04-2013)