+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First Holiday Away

Hi All, We are taking our first family holiday with our 15 mth old DD (Yay!) The resort we are going to is fantastic for kids but we were only able to get a hotel style room (i.e. no separate bedrooms!) I am a little worried about how she will get to sleep, she generally self settles in her cot but has trouble sleeping at other peoples places.

Any tips on how to make it easier to get her to sleep while we are in the room in a new environment??????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We took dd away at 10mths and I was worried how she would sleep too. We had a house (were away with my in-laws) but because the 2 upstairs bedrooms had very thin curtains she ended up sleeping in the bedroom downstairs with us. So for the first time ever she slept in a portacot AND slept in the same room as us. She surprised us though and slept ad she usually would

We just made sure to maintain the same routine for her as we do at home and had her white noise with us - this was weird for dh & I sleeping to the sound of running water!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS slept really well when we went away for two nights when he was 10 months old. When he was 15 months we went to Fiji and he did not sleep fantastically but it was ok. He did have a massive nap everyday which was bliss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When we only had one and did many trips like this we would put ds around the corner or out of the way as much as possible (normally near the door as there is a bit of a hallway and we could still watch tv read etc once asleep). He had to not be able to see us. We always found we had late nights on holidays anyway as we were out til all hours, so he'd be so stuffed he'd fall straight asleep.

We also kept stuff like home as much as possible (same sheets and blanket in his porta cot, bottle on the couch with us before going to bed) and it never seemed to worry him. I remember one trip where he just would not go to sleep, so we just sat up with him til he did.

Good luck! Try not to stress, they will eventually go to sleep! have fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have just had our little holiday away.... for the most part it was really good, had a couple of day trips to see the sights spent 1 day doing things around the resort.... but would she sleep????? NOPE! She was exhausted by nap time, but wouldn't have one, absolutely knackered by bedtime but wouldn't go down and by the 3rd night we had spent a total of 2 hours driving around in the middle of the night to try and get her settled!! My day today started at 2am.. because each time she went down in the cot she woke up

Now I am pretty sure this was all due to a routine upset and a new environment as well as overtiredness... the more tired she got as the few days went by.. the less she slept!

Ok rant over caffeine has kicked in! just thought I'd scare you all with my first holiday experience with my 15mth old DD!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We've had the same thing on holidays and, depending on the hotel, we have put the travel cot in the bathroom or in the (very big) WIR!!!

Bathroom was a great option - just means you have to be quiet if you need the loo in the night

Otherwise, we've had her in the same room as us but we've turned out our light at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our only option was to put her round the corner in the entryway and as soon as she was asleep we basically went to bed and just chatted or watched tv quietly. The first night was great, she slept through just like at home, but with little or no naps her night times just went downhill!!