+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To book or not to book?

Hi ladies,

I need some advice.
    We are ttc (5th cycle now) and we've been invited to a wedding in Sept.
    Over much debating, we decided we'd go and I told the couple we'd join them.

The plan was, not to stop ttc and if I fall, we cancel or fly with doctors ok.
    I've just realised most travel insurance doesn't cover cancelation due to pregnancy complications.

I'm now stressing out. I think i've over-comitted. What would you do?

Note: It's a 24 hour flight to Austria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go.

It took us 2yrs to conceive and, in that time, I cancelled or put off a lot of things 'in case' I got pregnant. It was pretty depressing, and I felt as though life was on hold. I had an opportunity to go on a work trip that involved flying to Dubai, and also (as part of the same trip) to a couple of places in Europe to see my family.

In the end I decided to do it, as it was getting me down that I kept not doing stuff, and then not getting pregnant anyway.

Of course, I fell pregnant about 7 or 8 weeks before going! It was a complicated first trimester (several episodes of bleeding), and I was on a lot of drugs that I had to take throughout the day. But my obstetrician was great, and couldn't see a reason why I couldn't go.

I still went and, while it was a bit more stressful than it would have been otherwise, I'm glad that I did.

Most airlines will let you fly up to near the due date (some are 36 weeks, some 34 - it varies). If you got pregnant now then you would only be 4-5 months when you fly, which is a great time to do it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your input. You've definately made me feel a lot better. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't agree more with Girl X. We've been TTC 18 months and definitely feel my life has been put on hold in that time

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissusMac For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the other ladies! We ttced for 7 years and in that time we misses out on so many opportunities to travem because we didn't want to chance it! We even skipped our honeymoon because I was convinced we would be pregnant! If I had my time again I would have gone on every trip :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsboyts For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Book! I wouldn't wish my ttc journey on anyone (8 years, 9 rounds IVF), but the one thing I learnt was don't put anything off. There is nothing worse than sitting at home not pregnant and knowing that you are missing out on an event. At the moment I am about to cancel a trip due to pregnancy complications, and while I'm annoyed at missing the trip, I would rather do it this way then have never booked and then missed out all together.

Best wishes your journey is short and rewarding.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

jenjenOo  (15-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem, my dad booked a family trip for us all last year for June this year. We were planning to start trying in September last year and had to put it off until the start of the year.

I will be 16 weeks when we go to Hawaii in June. There are some travel insurance policies which cover pregnancy. I haven't purchased the policy yet but I did a bit of research before TTC to make sure I could get cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    We recently went on a trip we had been planning for about a year. We had booked back in October last year & discovered we were pregnant in January. Was 13 weeks when we went. We did have to change the holiday to exclude some places as I wasn't confident it would be safe for bub or me. We used Southern cross travel that covered natural pregnancy up to 26 weeks where there were no pre-exsisting conditions.

I wouldnt put things on hold while trying for a baby as after having baby it maybe more difficult to travel etc.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, you should definitely book it and go! We, too, put off too much while TTC because we just assumed I would be pregnant. It didn't happen and we missed out on a lot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go! Just book the tickets that allow for changes etc.

You never know, a holiday in Austria might be exactly what you need to fall!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Disbride For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (21-06-2013)