+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nipple Thrush

Any help advise would be gratefully appreciated?
    Have you had nipple thrush where you can't get rid of it? I'd like to hear your experience and what you did to treat it.

I have had a rough trot with bf. It's been 6 weeks and it's still horrible, so painful because firstly my DS had tongue tie which I did not realise was causing the bf problems. I now think he has upper lip tie also but yet to get that diagnosed by LC and/or speechy. We got it the tongue tie realeased when he was 4 weeks and tried to prevent any infections but too late, I am pretty sure I already had thrush probably not long after he was born now I know the feeling of it. I have stopped bf and now expressing and bought formula to comp feed when I don't have enough bm.

My intention is to continue bf but I really need to get this thrush under control. My DS does not have any signs of it so far but treating him also.

I have had the daktarin gel for two weeks, 4 times a day, had Diflucan tabs (3 over 5 days) all of this hasn't worked; now I am trying Nilstat because was told it has different ingredients so giving that a go.

I also have: changed bras every day and nipple pads regularly throughout day. I have actually put cloth ones on starting today during the day so they can breath. I am washing all bras/towels/clothes etc in hot water and drying in sun. I make sure I wash my hands regularly. I have been putting a bi-carb solution after I express to clean and then daktarin gel as I have been for two weeks. I am trying to eat well, and steering clear of some things they say may hinder getting rid of it such as vegemite. I also trying to air my boobs but it's rather difficult because they are large it's not comfortable. I also have been out in the sun the past few days not sure if that will help.

I have heard of Gentian Violet; however apparently that is only given in a Melbourne Hospital which is not good for me since I am in NSW. I have heard that one of the contra-indications is to ensure you have no lesions/cuts on area which I have a few still from the damage so I wouldn't be able to use that till it clears if I can find a chemist in my town that does make it up but I don't like my chances.

I am fairly fed up with it and it's still rather sore and starting to get me down with all the procedural cleaning and medication. Can anyone shed some light on this. I am pretty sure I have researched as much as I can online and been given loads of what to do and what not by Chemists etc but I am at the end of my tether with this. If I can't clear it soon I will have to stop expressing and give up bf which makes me really sad and upset but maybe I am just not meant to bf??????

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh you poor bugger. I had it but only mildly compared to you by the sounds of it.

will BUMP for you so hopefully someone sees it and can offer some suggestions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to say you poor mom!!! And for still wanting to continue with BF -- WELL DONE!!! I'd suggest going to see the Dr, you might have an infection as well which might be causing the thrush to not clear. And from the sounds of it you are doing everything to try & clear the thrush. My DS2 had a tongue tie as well & we also suffered from thrush but it cleared in a few days with Daktarin Gel & Nilistat Drops (which is why I think you might have something more). I hope you come right... GOODLUCK xxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Belter For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had it chronically with my first....so feel your pain, every time i thought i got rid of it it would come back....it drove me nuts. i NEVER got rid of it, i gave up trying TBH...i just managed it so that it wouldnt be painful when it came back. i had no luck with Nilstat...better with datktarin which i used on and off for the whole time i bf DS that kept it under control (ie symptom free but obviously didnt kill the thrush as it retuned every time i stopped treatment)...i ended up only treating myself as docs / nurses could never see evidence of thrush in my DS...i also used a white vinegar rinse after each feed (was affectionately known as "vinegar t!ts" by my friends ) and would wash clothes in an anti-fungal rinse (canestan rinse) ..never use the same towel twice, used breast pads or wash bras daily in Boiling HOT water with canestan rinse. other things i read was getting prescription strength anti-fungal medications taken over a month duration in cases of treatment resistant thrush (although i didnt do this) ..keeping up treatment for at least one month after all symptoms are gone etc...in the end it was just part of my life and as long as I used the daktarin gel on my bbs once a day or two it would keep it at bay...symptom free. i just got sick of washing everything and trying to eliminate it.

with second bub i got it but oddly enuf if has never been as bad and i can go weeks before symptons appear..when they do i use the gel again for a day or so and it goes away again for another few weeks.

LC told me that some women just get it (ie like some ppl are prone to recurrent mastitis etc) and that sometimes the baby will have no symptoms. i just got so sick of trying to shove medications down my DS throat the first time hence why i gave up trying to get "rid " of it.

oddly i have never had "thrush" before in my life either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS and I were diagnosed with oral/nipple thrush at 3 weeks postpartum by our visiting midwife/health nurse. DS had a tiny bit of a white tongue but i was in crippling pain on my right side. We used nilstat drops and daktarin gel for 3 weeks. Neither of us seemed to get any better.

At our 6 week checkup my GP looked at DS and said, he doesn't have oral thrush that's just milk on his tongue! She agreed that my symptoms sounded like nipple thrush so put me on a 10 day course of diflucan tablets (to be stopped at 5 days if symptoms had ceased). I took the whole course... No improvement.

It turns out that I had recurring blebs. My nipple skin on the right side kept growing over the milk duct openings, making DS bite/pull/suck too hard leading to nipple trauma, plus my breast wasn't draining properly and that was giving me the burning stabbing pain.

I solved it by sterilising tweezers (dr recommended gentle exfoliation but its not my style) pulled all of the dead white skin off, allowed lots of free air time, salt bathed the nipple and expressed from that side for a week. After that the nipple had healed - the blebs and pain were finally gone....

My symptoms matched nipple thrush exactly, even though it wasn't the cause. OP it might be worthwhile visiting the GP again and trying some different methods of treatment. It's so painful - I really feel for you and I hope it eases soon!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Same with me

My DD is 6 weeks old too and I'm now feeding her EBM with a bottle for similar reasons: large breasts and nipples, problems latching, suspected thrush and blebs/milk blisters.

I dipped my nipples in white vinegar and blow dried them after each feed or pump. Also rinsed the bottles and pump equipment in diluted white vinegar after washing them (rinsed them immediately before use with boiling water). I changed breast pads every time they got wet and at least after each feed or pump. We've been putting Canestan rinse through the laundry too. My obstetrician at the 6 week check said to put Jalna plain organic yoghurt or similar on my nipples to counteract any thrush, he explained it is about balance rather than eliminating the stuff which causes thrush. He didn't think it was thrush though because my baby doesn't have any sign of it. He said it was the result of repeated nipple trauma from bad latching.

I'm now exclusively pumping until my nipples are better and have booked in to see a lactation consultant on Friday. I'm putting my baby against the breast in the nursing position to keep her familiar and having skin to skin contact when I bathe her in the afternoon.

Fortunately I have more than enough milk. My husband bought a second hand, heavy duty breast pump off Gumtree which has helped enormously. But it still takes about 3 hours a day... :-(

All pretty upsetting and not the plan!! Happy to be your problem solving buddy on this as I work through it too.
    Last edited by Pru40; 15-04-2013 at 11:21. Reason: Typos

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pru40 For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had this done ds2 was a month old. Now he is almost 3 months and I think I'm thrush free.
    A3 week course of nilstat for us both.
    We have been pumping a lot due to the pain. Now just trying to relearn how to bf. Seeing lc at the end of the month.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    WOW I can't believe so many o f us have to deal with this and the absolute efforts we go to to continue bf is amazing. You are all wonderful and I thank you very much for posting and sharing.

Bub was having Daktarin gel also but now I am giving him Nilstat.

I went to the LC yesterday and it turns out I have contact dermatitis caused from the Daktarin gel (not very common allergy I am told) so I have stopped putting it on and it seems to be getting better already. However I am still doing all the precautions such as washing everything in hot water, changing b-pads regularly etc

I have had thrush before but vaginal, when I was younger I would get it every now and then but haven't had it for a while. I will definitely be on the ball about this in the future to avoid re-occurrence as others have had.
    I find it interesting about the yogurt, but when I think about it it does make sense to keep the balance rather than keep fighting to get rid of it. I am hoping I don't have a re-occuring problem but if I do at least I kjnow what to do and I think I will endeavour to prevent it by washing in hot water bras/towels etc and ensuring I check bub every day.

DS has no sign of any thrush which is fab; I think it would be harder if he had it too and he prob wouldn't feed as well. Can't imagine having it in your mouth. Yuk.

Thanks again for all the feedback and I hope that those of you still fighting to get rid of thrush it goes away and you are able to bf again real soon if that is your plan. I am so very happy that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for us but I will make sure that I am fully healed before we start bf again I don't want to go backwards.

The LC said to (when we get back to bf and even before) have a bath with DS and get him to go back to basics and get him skin to skin and search for boob and attach that way making it a pleasant experience for him. She also said don't feed him boob (when getting back into it) if I have missed the cue's for hungry and he becomes starving but to feed him some in bottle first to feel like he is a bit satisfied then put him on the boob. I hope this is helpful info to share; I love my LC she is just priceless.

I do hope you all have a great week and continue to heal and get better. I would love to stay in contact with you all to see how you are progressing through the thrush and after when you get back to bf.

Love and light

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just subbing to reply later - I have ongoing nipple cracks that I am thinking might be thrush. Started treatment yesterday for DS and I.

Will reply in more detail once DD is at daycare but wanted to say you are doing a fantastic job under such difficult circumstances! It sounds like you have a great LC too.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great you've worked out the source of the problem. Hope you're pain free and bfeeding again beautifully.

I forgot to mention that we've switched to a Medela Calma teat which has to be the oddest looking baby bottle, this is so DD doesn't forget how to suck and get the milk out of the breast. She screamed at it for the first feed and then accepted it without complaint after that single horror 45 minute session. And I'm putting Lansinoh (purified lanolin) on my nipples all the time and it seems to be helping with healing them up.

Well done, keep at it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pru40 For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (17-04-2013)